NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > Engine Topic
User Name
Password

Old 08-22-2008, 03:48:17 PM   #1
vegas1974z28

chevy starter wiring

on a chevy starter there are 3 wires the batt cable, and 2 little wires. one close to the block and one on the other side. Which is the ignition switch? And the other is for the idiot light correct?
2014 Challenger R/T
www.wix.com/gamattie/2ndgenracing
vegas1974z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:01:20 PM   #2
K5JMP
Lifetime Gold Member

kinda busy for a detailed explanation, but wiring diagram is here.. starter toward top middle of print..
http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/wire/74eng.jpg

of meeting and hanging out with.
Marks71BB-There is a lot of support on this board. when yer down, we are here for ya,
and if yer up, we are here for ya, but when ya act like an a$$, we are even MORE here for ya.
K5JMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:29:16 PM   #3
K5JMP
Lifetime Gold Member

OK.. gotta minute..

large red and smaller red go to big bolt on solenoid... smaller wire yellow? is to energize the solenoid from ignition to start engine..
hope that helps..

of meeting and hanging out with.
Marks71BB-There is a lot of support on this board. when yer down, we are here for ya,
and if yer up, we are here for ya, but when ya act like an a$$, we are even MORE here for ya.
K5JMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 08-22-2008, 07:53:55 PM   #4
mrdragster1970
Lifetime Gold Member

My 2 cents, switch to a remote system. I don't like power at the stater full time & heat from headers can't get at it.

PARTS FOR SALE

'94 Pro-Modified Lumina. Photo's of fast car Photos & License 6.54 @ 213 mph 1.00 60'
'70 1/2 RS, 8.57 @ 159 1.27 60'
'72 plain jane, getting chrome moly chassis

For my babies, never forgotten
mrdragster1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:59:46 PM   #5
vegas1974z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5JMP
OK.. gotta minute..

large red and smaller red go to big bolt on solenoid... smaller wire yellow? is to energize the solenoid from ignition to start engine..
hope that helps..

I have a MSD ministarter and it looks like only 2 wires will go to it. I know where the batt goes, it's just which small wire goes to the ignition on the MSD. SO I guess, which small wire is the ignition? The one closer to the block or the other?

MrDrag, My wiring skills are weak at best for now. I have about 9 other things I should be doing to the car. Remote starter/selonoid is in the future though.
Thanks guys.
2014 Challenger R/T
www.wix.com/gamattie/2ndgenracing
vegas1974z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:22:48 PM   #6
LILRED496
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas1974z28
I have a MSD ministarter and it looks like only 2 wires will go to it. I know where the batt goes, it's just which small wire goes to the ignition on the MSD. SO I guess, which small wire is the ignition? The one closer to the block or the other?

MrDrag, My wiring skills are weak at best for now. I have about 9 other things I should be doing to the car. Remote starter/selonoid is in the future though.
Thanks guys.
The purple wire.Mines a 78 could be different

1.36 275/60s street radials
6.10 @111.8
9.63 @137.7

6.16@112.5
9.66@139.3

Best 60ft 1.331
LILRED496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:58:09 PM   #7
74RAT
Veteran Member

small post next to the block is the starter trigger wire. big post is battery cable and alternator charge wire. the outside small post next to the exhaust is for the 12v during cranking that went to the ignition coil on points to give 12v only during cranking.

then the main coil positive wire to the coil was resisted down to 5-7 volts or so,, either through a balast resistor or a resistor wire,, so as to not burn up the points so quickly,, like if you only ran 12v to them all the time. hope it helps.
andy
Old 03-21-2009, 08:38:23 AM   #8
spaman71
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74RAT
the outside small post next to the exhaust is for the 12v during cranking that went to the ignition coil on points to give 12v only during cranking.
andy

My wire on the outside of the starter is missing completely. What color should it be and where could I source it from, + or - side of coil. The car still starts ok whn cold, but once its warmed up, its harder to crank.

Thanks, Scott
spaman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:07:42 PM   #9
theflash
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehbobeh
My wire on the outside of the starter is missing completely. What color should it be and where could I source it from, + or - side of coil. The car still starts ok whn cold, but once its warmed up, its harder to crank.

Thanks, Scott

That doesn't have anything to do with how the starter is wired. Your timing is probably too far advanced, you have a weak battery, or the starter is not a high torque one.
If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor here. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So, pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the f'ing car.

I am the proud parent of a child whose self-esteem is sufficient that she doesn’t need me advertising her minor scholastic achievements on the bumper of my car
theflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:28:05 AM   #10
spaman71
Veteran Member

OK, Thanks for the help
spaman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:51:12 AM   #11
74RAT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehbobeh
My wire on the outside of the starter is missing completely. What color should it be and where could I source it from, + or - side of coil. Thanks, Scott

the small outside post on the starter solenoid "is" the 12v source and it's wired from there to the 12v or + side of the externally mounted type coils in this use only. with h.e.i. or an ignition box,, it's not specifically needed unless the ign box mfgr says to. the negative side of the coil goes to the points/condensor.

the small outside post only energizes and sends out 12v's when the starter is triggered to crank. can't remember the color it's supposed to be. been to long since i switched it over to h.e.i. hope it helps.
andy
Old 03-22-2009, 01:21:47 PM   #12
73Z28LT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdragster1970

My 2 cents, switch to a remote system. I don't like power at the stater full time & heat from headers can't get at it.

i totally agree, i had problems like that, sometimes i had to wait for an hour or so. I went to a remote solenoid and never had a problem again
73Z28LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:34:22 PM   #13
Tru70SS/RS
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74RAT
the small outside post on the starter solenoid "is" the 12v source and it's wired from there to the 12v or + side of the externally mounted type coils in this use only. with h.e.i. or an ignition box,, it's not specifically needed unless the ign box mfgr says to. the negative side of the coil goes to the points/condensor.

the small outside post only energizes and sends out 12v's when the starter is triggered to crank. can't remember the color it's supposed to be. been to long since i switched it over to h.e.i. hope it helps.
andy

so, with an HEI the smaller outer post is unused and the inner small post gets the 2 small wires, correct?

i need to hook mine up and forgot how they went.
71 Vega V8
77 El Camino Classic
66 Fairlane GTA (pro street) needs drivetrain!
75 Gran Torino
Tru70SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:32:07 AM   #14
74RAT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru70SS/RS
so, with an HEI the smaller outer post is unused and the inner small post gets the 2 small wires, correct?

i need to hook mine up and forgot how they went.

with hei,, you won't use the small outside post on the starter at all.

you'll also want to get a 10 guage wire with about a 10 amp fuse to power the hei. the original stock points power wire size isn't really big enough. it's pretty small,, and could be a factory installed "resister wire" in some cases where a ballast resistor wasn't used on a points application. if so,, that will choke back the voltage to the hei. you want full 12v to the hei coil.

the big battery post gets the alternator charge wire that goes to your alternator stud on back of the alternator,, And the main big battery cable. 2 wires to the big 3/8" threaded solenoid post.

the small inside post gets the wire that comes from your ignition switch. it's the one that will trigger the starter to crank when you turn the key to the full crank position. only one wire to the small inside post.
andy
Old 07-11-2009, 07:43:34 PM   #15
74bracketboy

Lightbulb so heres some pics

ok so here are some pics of the starter and the wires , the car is a 1974 camaro, with a 350sb. it came stock with a points type distributor and now has a Accel H.E.I. distributor.

Starter Pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

soooooo to get a better idea.... how would we set this bad boy up so it works??

can someone repost

JSYK...the connectors were put on ass backwards... so the colors are reveresd for the correct wire thats connected to it...i.e. red connector =yellow wire, yellow connector=red wire..im know im a goof
74bracketboy is offline   Reply With Quote