NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > Engine Topic
User Name
Password

Old 03-06-2009, 09:12:07 AM   #1
jamieg285
Veteran Member

Holley electric choke - pull-off adjustment

Can anyone give instructions on how to adjust the choke pull-off on a Holley electric choke?

I have established that my hard starting problem is most likely caused by this being wrong, but I haven't been able to find any decent instructions on how to adjust it. I have a later model choke, where the adjustment is with an external screw, not a bendable tab inside the housing.

1979 Camaro - Currently in many bits
305 SBC, 416 heads, 1850 Holley carb, 1 5/8 Stainless headers, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe system

www.mfatw.com/WD 'WhiteDream' 79 Camaro Website

Jamieg285's '79 in the UK - Project Thread

http://www.mkb.cc
jamieg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:43:05 PM   #2
ZS10
L. G. M. / Moderator

Don't think I've ever had to fiddle with the pull off... just loosen the three screws that hold the black plastic part in and with the throttle slightly open, and the engine cold, just turn the plastic part one way and you'll see it open the choke, turn it back so the choke plate is just closed.

Here's a pretty good rebuild article.
http://www.kitcarmag.com/techarticle...ech/index.html
Old 03-06-2009, 08:22:20 PM   #3
Stroked72SS
Lifetime Gold Member

I always "Pull them off" and throw them away...With the Carb adjusted right, a choke isn't needed

"My Kid Fought In Iraq So Your Kid Can Party In College"
Stroked72SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:17:14 AM   #4
jamieg285
Veteran Member

Anyone know?

Neither of these suggestions will help me.

305 SBC, 416 heads, 1850 Holley carb, 1 5/8 Stainless headers, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe system

Old 03-09-2009, 08:37:43 AM   #5
phbmd
Veteran Member

Jamie,

The Holley Website has literature for rebuilds, choke kits, and has carb. owners manuals. They also have techs available by phone - I have called a couple times for help after rebuilding my 4160 and changing to electric choke.

My electric choke had only two adjustments. You adjusted the fast idle speed when the high lobe on the fast idle cam contacted the adjustment screw. You also adjusted the chock duration by loosening the three screws on the housing and turning the black cover. Winter is just ending in D.C. and the choke seemed to do it's job pretty well after those two adjustments were made (started right up in the cold and ran at 1400 rpm - and I could kick it down after only a minute or so).

I guess you can be a total radical : ) and have the choke close minimally but adjust the fast idle speed on whatever cam lobe the screw is contacting at that point. But the standard adjustment method worked in my case.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:41:06 AM   #6
BondoSpecial
Lifetime Gold Member

If your car will run fine cold with no choke, it's set up too rich.

I didn't think the Holley had a "pull off" (like the vacuum break that Qjets use, when the car first starts, it opens the choke flap a preset amount, that is adjustable)

2011 Infiniti M37x
2000 BMW M5
1986 Porsche 928S
1999 Chevy C1500
1976 Jeep DJ5
BondoSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:02:49 AM   #7
Cardinal
Lifetime Gold Member

Any "automatic" choke is adjusted in this manner: loosen the screws (usually three of them) to that you can rotate the cap where the bi-metal is. The engine should be cold (you can also use a cooling agent like ice to cool the thermostat down), adjust the choke mechanism so that it is just closed by turning the cap on the choke. I've used this method before and it is usually close to what the engine needs for a choke adjustment. The only variable in this is the outside temperature. If it's VERY cold outside, you may have to back off on the closed adjustment a little. Conversely, if it is VERY hot out, it should be OK the way you adjusted it but you may have to back it off a little to compensate for cold weather. After all, the idea is to have it open as the engine warms up, not to stay closed forever!
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 03-09-2009, 10:05:50 AM   #8
BondoSpecial
Lifetime Gold Member

the problem is that without a vacuum break for the choke, like a qjet has, on some applications with a bimetal choke actuator, in order to get enough choke "on time" by turning up the preload on the spring, the choke plate will then end up so far shut, that the car will load up and run way overrich for the first few minutes until the choke starts to open. Edelbrocks have a spring loaded plunger in the choke flap, to semi-remedy this, but the Qjet choke pull off is the best electric choke setup ever used.

2011 Infiniti M37x
2000 BMW M5
1986 Porsche 928S
1999 Chevy C1500
1976 Jeep DJ5
Old 03-09-2009, 10:06:18 AM   #9
Stroked72SS
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977_TPI_Camaro
If your car will run fine cold with no choke, it's set up too rich.

That's not what my Wideband says...

"My Kid Fought In Iraq So Your Kid Can Party In College"
Stroked72SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:16:09 AM   #10
jamieg285
Veteran Member

Wow, a flurry of activity, but sadly still no answer.

I understand how everything is supposed to work. The block cover controls how quickly the choke opens, not how it reacts on immediate startup. The fast idle cam again, controls the idle speed in relation to the choke position. Neither of these are the problem.

The problem I have is on immediate fire up, the choke should open a fraction from fully closed, under the influence of the increase in vacuum. This is known as the pull-off, and should be adjustable, controling how much the flap will open at this time - totally independant of the black cap or fast idle settings.

There are some instructions in the Holley documentation, but it is only for the older style, where you adjust a tab inside the housing. I have a newer one, and there isn't a tab to bend, just a screw. I don't know if this screw is the adjuster, or is a lock screw, or even something else. I don't know how to adjust the thing to get it to the right setting (which, for initial setting) is going to be 1/4 from fully closed.

I've emailed Holley, but had no response yet, so may call them later today, but still hope that someone may have the answer anyway.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:18:11 AM   #11
BondoSpecial
Lifetime Gold Member

Do you have a pic of this screw? You are talking about the same thing I am thinking of that the Qjets have, the pull off for the choke, but I was not aware it was adjustable on the holleys. I'd be interested to know

Steve

2011 Infiniti M37x
2000 BMW M5
1986 Porsche 928S
1999 Chevy C1500
1976 Jeep DJ5
Old 03-09-2009, 11:35:56 AM   #12
jamieg285
Veteran Member

This post has picks with the same setup
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...pulloff+piston

Old 03-09-2009, 12:52:02 PM   #13
BondoSpecial
Lifetime Gold Member

Oh wow cool.

So heres how I would adjust that. You adjust the bimetal spring tension, by timing how long it takes your engine, dead cold, to open the choke completely w/ the engine idling. I shoot for something like 4 minutes, at around 60 degrees F. If this much spring tension causes the choke to snap 100% closed when the car is cold, turn that choke pull off screw until you have maybe 1/8" gap between the choke plate and the horn (car still cold). Test and see if the car runs lean enough when first started, with that setting.

You will have to mess with the tension and pull off screw together. Messing with one will affect the other.

2011 Infiniti M37x
2000 BMW M5
1986 Porsche 928S
1999 Chevy C1500
1976 Jeep DJ5
Old 03-09-2009, 01:01:15 PM   #14
Bikefixr
Lifetime Gold Member

What you are playing with is the set/lock screw for the factory-set pre-load on the bi-metal coil spring. It is a pull-off piston. If I recall, there is a small plunger and spring inside that housing, and the factory uses it to put some initial pressure on the bi-metal coil spring. and the pull off assembly. As the bimetal sping loses tension from heat/cold, the plunger can be extended a bit to place more pressure on the spring. Don't mess with it. There needs to be some preload pressure on it Do you know the paperclip trick to adjust this? http://holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R8339.pdf

You adjust the choke with the black cover that houses the bimetal. Loosen the 3 screws and rotate the housing such that you release pressure on the choke blade. If the engine vac isn't immediatly pulling the choke blade open 1/16 to 1/8 in, then you have too much pressure on it. I always set mine so that the blade BARELY closed. Even vac created from cranking would make it pulse open with each cylinder. As soon as it caught, the blade was open about 1/8". Now set the high-idle speed. After it will kick-down, then reset hot idle speed. If the choke opens too much at cold-start, add some pressure the system by taking the housing back the other way. I always went is VERY small increments of 10 degrees rotation.

Last edited by Bikefixr : 03-09-2009 at 01:09:21 PM.
Bikefixr is offline   Reply With Quote