NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Drivetrain & Performance > Transmission & Driveline Topics
User Name
Password

Old 04-08-2006, 08:55:54 PM   #1
sniggle_t
Lifetime Gold Member

Turbo 350 question

Laying under my car the other day contemplating the replacement of the trans cooler lines, I noticed what looks like a sending unit of some sort just below where the cooler lines go into the case. What is it for? Mine is not connected to anything. Came from a 72 Camaro.

Thanks.

NASCAR - Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks

Going to war over religon - "Basically it's killing each other to see who has the best imaginary friend"
sniggle_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:49:56 PM   #2
dustypowers
Lifetime Gold Member

sounds like kickdown maybe is it cable or line

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78730
dustypowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:43:42 AM   #3
John Wright
Lifetime Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniggle_t
Laying under my car the other day contemplating the replacement of the trans cooler lines, I noticed what looks like a sending unit of some sort just below where the cooler lines go into the case. What is it for? Mine is not connected to anything. Came from a 72 Camaro.

Thanks.

Are you asking about the modulator valve? If so, it needs a vac line hooked up to it.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:14:52 AM   #4
GoldenOne7710
Veteran Member

You say that trans came from a '72 Camaro? Are you sure if was the original trans for the '72? It sounds like late model stuff. Is it an electrical plug or a "port" like a hose would go on it?

NRA Life Member
GeorgiaCarry.org Member
GeorgiaPacking.org Member
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Equal Opportunity Offender
GoldenOne7710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 04-09-2006, 12:26:31 PM   #5
jakeshoe
Lifetime Gold Member

TCS switch
jakeshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:18:56 PM   #6
Crosley

you can leave it or remove it. install a 1/8 inch pipe thread plug
Old 04-10-2006, 09:27:13 AM   #7
sniggle_t
Lifetime Gold Member

Hard to photograph but....

Don't know if the tranny is original. Car had a target motor so there is a good chance the trans was swapped also. The sender appears to require an electrical connection.

TCS switch? Does that mean "throttle control switch"? The trans does have a kickdown cable.

Here are some pictures. Not the greatest photos but........

First picture is sideways. The sender in question is the one close to the pan rail.

In the second picture it is showing the sender to the right of the dipstick tube.

Going to war over religon - "Basically it's killing each other to see who has the best imaginary friend"
Old 04-11-2006, 02:38:10 AM   #8
siberbunak
Veteran Member

I think you need to look for a hydraulic circuit layout diagram of TH350 in order to guesstimate what that switch is.

Siberbunak lives in Istanbul TURKIYE.
siberbunak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:04:05 AM   #9
jakeshoe
Lifetime Gold Member

It's a TCS switch...

Screwed into the high gear circuit...

Crosley's suggestion is correct, use it as a plug or if it is unsightly replace with an 1/8th pipe plug.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:54:50 AM   #10
sniggle_t
Lifetime Gold Member

OK, cool! Now I know what it is.

So what does the TCS Switch do exactly?

Old 04-11-2006, 08:08:12 AM   #11
manicmechanic
Lifetime Gold Member

On 81 model Camaro's a computer controlled the carb and trans to meet emissions standards for that year. You have a Turbo350C in your car, it had a lockup converter controlled by the computer. TCS= Torque Converter Switch

71 Firebird in waiting
78Z/28 done up like 81 383,350T...
80Z/28 383,2004R vortecs....
2002 T/A WS6 A4
2006 Charger DAYTONA R/T TorRed #1988 of 2000
manicmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:35:40 AM   #12
sniggle_t
Lifetime Gold Member

Should I wire it to a toggle switch for when I am on the highway or just leave it alone?

Old 04-11-2006, 12:36:36 PM   #13
Twisted_Metal
L. G. M. / Moderator

What's it do?
Activates a valve in the tranny to engage the lock-up torque converter clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniggle_t
Should I wire it to a toggle switch for when I am on the highway or just leave it alone?

Do you have a lock-up torque converter? If not, it won't do anything for you. You need more than a toggle switch for it to operate correctly. (You want it to disengage when you hit the brake.)

There were a couple of parts involved in the lock-up system for the 81 that you don't have in your 72. There is a separate switch on the brake, a vacuum switch on the fender and a couple of wire circuits to complete the system. (My 80 Berlinetta with a TH200 came with a lock-up Torque Converter and I still have these pieces in my car.) The plug is the same 2-pin connection but only one pin is used.

I considered re-using the controls/wire for the TCS but I wasn't sure if everything still worked. I will be rewiring my 2004R from scratch instead of playing with the 25 year old parts.
Twisted_Metal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:13:09 PM   #14
jakeshoe
Lifetime Gold Member

TCS is short for transmission controlled spark.

It does not have anything to do with a TCC solenoid. Torque Converter Clutch...

He said it was a 1972 trans, that is about right for the TCS system, 70-71 I believe.

Lockup TH350's came out in 1979.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:13:43 PM   #15
sniggle_t
Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks everyone for your responces. Looks like the trans was the original 72 piece. Looks like a good place to put a trans temp gauge!

I found some interesting info on the web.

Transmission Controlled Spark (TCS): An emissions-control system to prevent distributor vacuum advance at normal operating temperature until the transmission has shifted into high gear by using a transmission-mounted electric switch controlling a solenoid-actuated vacuum valve.

Transmission Controlled Spark: (TCS) A system to reduce the emission of nitrous oxides by which a vacuum solenoid and a switch in the transmission system prevents the distributor's vacuum advance mechanism from operating in the lower gears and at low speed

From highperformancepontiac.com,

The emission control system used from the start of production in the '73 model year was fairly complex, and Pontiac engineers knew that part-throttle performance would ultimately suffer from it. To prevent any major loss, the system was designed to meet the exact letter of the law. By loosely interpreting the compliance requirements, it appeared as if the engine must be compliant only for the duration of the testing period. So engineers used a time-delay solenoid that allowed the system to operate long enough to pass emissions testing but provide maximum throttle response and efficiency thereafter.

In an attempt to reduce oxides of nitrogen, Pontiac installed a vacuum-actuated EGR valve that circulated metered amounts of exhaust gas into the intake manifold. The first-type system (top) used an electric solenoid to control vacuum to the EGR valve. EGR operated in conjunction with TCS to provide maximum part-throttle performance. This solenoid was eliminated in the second-type system and a thermostatic vacuum switch plumbed into the coolant crossover regulated vacuum (bottom).
Conditions in which the systems operated were limited to a specific range. When coolant temperature was below 71 degrees, TCS allowed full vacuum advance to assist cold engine operation, and EGR was inactive. Normal operation began once coolant temperature reached 125 degrees. TCS then denied vacuum advance any time the transmission was in first gear or for up to 55 seconds after an upshift from First. Under the same condition, the EGR system operated exactly opposite where EGR was present any time the engine was in First gear or for up to 55 seconds after an upshift.
Together, TCS and EGR controlled the amount of hydrocarbons and NOx emitted during testing or for a short period under normal acceleration. Once the time delay solenoid timed out, however, TCS allowed for full vacuum advance for maximum throttle response, while a second switch connected to TCS denied vacuum to the EGR valve for maximum combustion efficiency. The entire system would reset whenever the transmission dropped back into First gear and the timed process began again. In the technical sense, the emissions system was compliant. But it did not take long for the EPA to discover that the system was not fully so. Pontiac was given a limited amount of time to find a solution and recertify every engine within each respective group or engine production would come to a halt. Caught trying to provide the best running car yet comply with loosely interpreted testing requirements, Pontiac engineers worked diligently to produce a fully compliant alternative to the time-delay system.