NastyZ28 Forum

Go Back   NastyZ28.com > Body & Chassis Restoration > Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics
User Name
Password

Old 10-01-2007, 12:03:47 AM   #1
Tphil413
Veteran Member

Lowering Blocks?

Wondering if any of you are running lowering blocks in the rear leafs? I am trying to lower my back end about 1", but can't seem to find any lowering blocks made for a '71 Camaro. If you are running them currently, can you suggest a brand or even better a part number?
350 SBC (ZZ4 - Edelbrock RPM crate motor @ 9.5:1 comp), forged steel crank, RPM Cam (.488" / .510" lift; 234° / 244° duration @.050), RPM aluminum heads (64cc; 2.02" intake / 1.60" exhaust valves), Aluminum roller rockers 1.5:1, RPM air gap, MSD Pro Billet with vacuum advance, Blaster 2 coil, 650 cfm Edelbrock carb, Hooker super comp headers, 700R4, 3:42 gears.
Tphil413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:13:36 AM   #2
pete0331
Veteran Member

I wouldn't suggest using lowering blocks. They aren't the best thing for the suspension geometry.
Get new springs that lower the rear end
OR if you don't have the cash for that take, the springs and get them re-arched.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stewart Mill--

http://community.webshots.com/user/Pete0331
pete0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:37:46 AM   #3
onovakind67
Veteran Member

You can buy lowering blocks at most auto parts stores or places like Summit and Jegs. It's an easy installation, and 1" of block will have little effect on the function of the rear suspension. Here's what AFCO racing has to say in their tech section:

LOWERING BLOCKS
Lowering blocks are generally used to change the ride height of the chassis. Lowering blocks can also be used to adjust wedge when multi-leafs are used. The addition of lowering blocks can cause less tightę roll steer which will help the chassis to turn. If lowering blocks drop either or both spring eye positions relative to the axle then the rear roll center height will be lowered and chassis roll, along with rear side bite, will increase.

Too much lowering block* can cause the forward thrust of the rear axle to prevent the leafs (or torque arm) from wrapping up and absorbing engine torque. Consequently, forward bite is diminished. A symptom of this problem shows up on torque arm equipped cars as very little 5th coil/shock movement.
*The distance between the bottom of the axle tube and the top of the leaf should not exceed 4 1/2". What to look for in a quality leaf spring: 1. Smooth, continuous and consistent arch 2. No lengthwise twist 3. High strength steel 4. Heat treated 5. Tension side of leaf shot-peened for increased durability (produces a satin smooth finish) 6. Rubbing blocks between secondary leafs 7. Secondary leafs taper cut at ends. 8. Proper eye alignment (front and rear eyes should be parallel in all directions).

http://www.afcoracing.com/tech_pages/leaf.shtml
onovakind67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Messages from Our Sponsors !
Awesome NastyZ28.com Merchandise !!

T-shirts, wearing apparel

Drinkware, Mouse Pads, Decals

Old 10-01-2007, 08:52:02 AM   #4
John Wright
Lifetime Gold Member

Also...using a 1" tapered block will help keep your driveline angles in check, and you could add the tapered shims if necessary. I wouldn't go overboard with the lowering blocks though...but IMHO the 1" block will be fine.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:28:39 AM   #5
67lemanster
LGM, Team Flatback

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wright
Also...using a 1" tapered block will help keep your driveline angles in check, and you could add the tapered shims if necessary. I wouldn't go overboard with the lowering blocks though...but IMHO the 1" block will be fine.
i agree 1" and less is fine. i wouldnt go any more than that though.

Hey there Curly, IS YOUR MAMA HOME?

http://smokefreequitmeter.com/index....nner/52022.png

When you are down in the dumps and think you have realproblems, just remember:
SOMEWHERE IN THIS WORLD,
THERE IS A POOR BASTARD NAMED MR. PELOSI.....

http://community.webshots.com/user/scamaro69
67lemanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:39:14 PM   #6
Tphil413
Veteran Member

Thanks for all your responses. I have run them successfully in the past on my '70 RS but was having no luck finding one's designed for my application. Everything out there seems to be for lower trucks. Was hoping one of you could help me get a line on a brand or online store that might sell ones that fit a 2nd gen successfully.
350 SBC (ZZ4 - Edelbrock RPM crate motor @ 9.5:1 comp), forged steel crank, RPM Cam (.488" / .510" lift; 234° / 244° duration @.050), RPM aluminum heads (64cc; 2.02" intake / 1.60" exhaust valves), Aluminum roller rockers 1.5:1, RPM air gap, MSD Pro Billet with vacuum advance, Blaster 2 coil, 650 cfm Edelbrock carb, Hooker super comp headers, 700R4, 3:42 gears.
Tphil413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:43:20 PM   #7
John Wright
Lifetime Gold Member

I'm asking because I didn't realize there was a difference....why can't you run the same 1" block as say a S-10? I think the spring pads on the axle are the same...aren't they?
Old 10-01-2007, 04:45:00 PM   #8
John Wright
Lifetime Gold Member

Speedway has them in all sorts of sizes.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/3353...ering%20blocks
Old 10-02-2007, 03:41:25 PM   #9
protour73
Lifetime Gold Member

what's the cost to de-arch leaf springs, as opposed to lowering blocks?
protour73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:20:17 PM   #10
Twisted_Metal
L. G. M. / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protour73
what's the cost to de-arch leaf springs, as opposed to lowering blocks?

If you use a torch... the cost is minimal.
(I'm kidding. )

Removing the springs, paying someone to disassemble, de-arch and reassemble is going to cost you far more time and money than a $10 set of blocks. You will need longer "U" bolts so add that to the cost of lowering blocks.

I think you will be fine with 1" blocks on our 2nd gens.
(Or throw a full-size spare in the trunk and run with a full tank of gas as much as possible. )
Twisted_Metal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:58:02 PM   #11
m pozzi
Moderator, powered by macaroni and cheese

And when you order the longer U-bolts, make sure you order them in the correct quantity. They are supplied in pairs!

I used this method to lower my '68 SS and if I remember correctly, the 8-inch U-bolts were the correct length. You need four. Car sits lower and rides just fine for a stock, touring car.

Summit, Jegs, et al, has these blocks in stock.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

MCJ: "MARY! MARY! I DON'T LIKE THIS, MARY! I LIKE ORGANIZATION!!"

first watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkmLy99TyXU

then watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWR3MZd3oz8

"It's not a horse ... you can't train it!!!"
m pozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:05:17 PM   #12
Twisted_Metal
L. G. M. / Moderator

Good Point, Mary!

The stock "T" bolts won't work with blocks so you need to replace two of them on each side with another "U" bolt.
(You may have to move the clip holding the brake line to the axle tube too.)
Twisted_Metal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:23:30 PM   #13
m pozzi
Moderator, powered by macaroni and cheese

It's also a pretty easy job and you'll need tools (natch . . . preferably with air), couple of jack stands for the body, and a hydraulic jack to support and chase the rear axle/differential all over the shop floor after it's loose from the chassis. Watch out when you raise and lower the rear axle assembly and you may have to disconnect the brake line flex hose above the differential first. If so, add a flare nut wrench and brake hydraulic fluid to your "tool" list.

Watch out when you reposition the metal brake lines that travel along the rear axle tubes to fit the new U-bolts as the lines will easily fail. They're as old as the car and have many miles of vibration and intermittent contact with anything they're positioned next to. When I dropped the SS, I discovered the brake line seeping after I installed one of the U-bolts. It was worn through the corrugation spring that protects the line and then got through to the line itself. I guess some things don't last 40 years or so . . . Steve's Camaro Parts in San Bruno, CA had replacement lines so I replaced both sides. You don't want to take chances on anything with brakes or steering.

You can also elect to replace the leaf support pads at this time. I used polyurethane pads (black ones) and they work fine. Or you can leave them out . . . personal preference. For something stock, I'd replace them.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

MCJ: "MARY! MARY! I DON'T LIKE THIS, MARY! I LIKE ORGANIZATION!!"

first watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkmLy99TyXU

then watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWR3MZd3oz8

"It's not a horse ... you can't train it!!!"
m pozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:40:01 AM   #14
nx74ls6

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67
You can buy lowering blocks at most auto parts stores or places like Summit and Jegs. It's an easy installation, and 1" of block will have little effect on the function of the rear suspension. Here's what AFCO racing has to say in their tech section:

LOWERING BLOCKS
Lowering blocks are generally used to change the ride height of the chassis. Lowering blocks can also be used to adjust wedge when multi-leafs are used. The addition of lowering blocks can cause less tightę roll steer which will help the chassis to turn. If lowering blocks drop either or both spring eye positions relative to the axle then the rear roll center height will be lowered and chassis roll, along with rear side bite, will increase.

Too much lowering block* can cause the forward thrust of the rear axle to prevent the leafs (or torque arm) from wrapping up and absorbing engine torque. Consequently, forward bite is diminished. A symptom of this problem shows up on torque arm equipped cars as very little 5th coil/shock movement.
*The distance between the bottom of the axle tube and the top of the leaf should not exceed 4 1/2". What to look for in a quality leaf spring: 1. Smooth, continuous and consistent arch 2. No lengthwise twist 3. High strength steel 4. Heat treated 5. Tension side of leaf shot-peened for increased durability (produces a satin smooth finish) 6. Rubbing blocks between secondary leafs 7. Secondary leafs taper cut at ends. 8. Proper eye alignment (front and rear eyes should be parallel in all directions).

http://www.afcoracing.com/tech_pages/leaf.shtml

I just got on the phone with Summit to order the lowering blocks and they said that THEY CAN'T BE USED ON A 2 ND GEN. He said they are for truck appl. - and for lowering he recommended the Hotchkiss spring ($380) lowering....I' d like to use the blocks, but I'm confused. Any help? Thanks.
nx74ls6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:49:27 AM   #15
John Wright
Lifetime Gold Member

Try Speedway...in link above.