'01 Saturn question

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by rscamaro73, Mar 22, 2011.

1. OK, so this may pertain to other vehicles as well...

I have this issue that when you put the key in the lock to start the car, it won't do anything, kinda like its the wrong key and won't turn...BUT, it IS the correct key. If you wiggle it and shake it and move it around, it eventually 'unlocks' and you can start the car. Also to note, the whole 'collar' where the lock mechanism is, it will move in a partial 'loose' rotation as you wiggle the key.

But does anyone have an idea of what it could be ? I have to fix this FIRST in order to get it to the inspection station for inspection.

Thanks.

2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Most likely a worn key, possibly a worn cylinder.

3. mudtrux

mudtrux Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 7, 2000
    central MN
    See it a lot go to a former saturn or current gm dealer with you're title (so they can see proof and get the vin) and have a new key cut by the vin.

4. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    I think Lucas makes some lock cylinder restore lube, or if that doesn't work replace the oxygen sensor.

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    My wife has a 2000 Saturn... She's had to have the ignition cylinder replaced twice now. (The second one was just last week.)

Sounds like a farily common problem with them. :(

6. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Finally back home!!!
    LOLOLOLOL :confused: :crazy:

7. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    Haha on the POS 93 saturn i had for a little while you could take the key out while it was running and it kept going. Worn cylinder. Those cars are what I call "GM lite". They had some features ahead of their time (4 speed electronic trans w/ learning capability, variable assist steering on the earlier cars) in the early 90s but some of the parts on them are so breakably dinky.

8. 327 BlackBird

327 BlackBird Veteran Member

i vote for worn out cylinder. or possibly oxygen sensor. replace both and rotate tires for good measure.

9. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    Samething I was thinking.

LMFAO.....God I needed that.

10. Thanks. I'll look for the Lucas stuff.

Internet searches showed some lock cylinders, some showed the ignition module that's there on the column. R & R of everything there would be a piece of cake....if I owned a 5.5mm socket. Seems that's the biggest complaint.

Even tried changing the fuel filter on the Tahoe - need a 16 adn 20 mm flare wrench. Sets only go to 14 then 15-17-19-21 :screwup:

Oh well. Reason to buy new tools is appreciated.

And I'll get an O2 sensor socket as well.....