1 pc. oil pan gaskets

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by SpeedAddict02, Jun 11, 2013.

1. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Wallkill, N.Y.
    I haven't had my 400 apart yet and dont remember from my last one.. But it is an 817 block, '74-'76... Anyone know if they used a thin or thick front seal?? I need to know so I can order the correct 1pc. oil pan gasket set..

thanks in advance

2. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Philly area
    That depends on your pan. Somewhere around 1974-75 they switched from the "thin" to the "thick" pan gasket and ALL of the difference was due to the change in the pan design around the front "half moon" arc.

If it's an aftermarket pan, it always takes the thick gasket.

3. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Wallkill, N.Y.
    ok thanks.. Pretty sure it's a stock pan.. Guess I'll just have to double check it next time I'm at the garage.

4. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Philly area
    Use the old gaskets you take out as your guide. Just remember that the end seals on a one-piece gasket appear much thicker than stock end gaskets. They have "lips" on the front and back and are designed to "squish" more than hockeypuck-hard stock end gaskets.

5. Randy 81

Randy 81 Veteran Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Loganville, Ga
    Here is one way to tell which seal the oil pan uses (from the web):

Determine the front seal surface radius by measuring from the pan rail flange surface (no gasket) to the 6 o'clock position on the seal surface. If it's 2-1/4", it takes the "thin" front seal; if it's 2-3/8", it takes the "thick" front seal.

6. middleagecrisis

middleagecrisis Veteran Member

Oct 22, 2007
    SA, TX
    Good info Randy! I'll have to keep this in my files for future reference.