14014416 Casting Number Heads?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Red79z29, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Red79z29

Red79z29 Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Ohio
    I have these 14014416 casting number heads and was wondering what facts you guys could give me about them (I know they are 305 heads), and I would also like to know how well they would work out on a 350. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

58cc chambers, 1.84/1.50 valves stock. They work great on a 350 with a set of 1.94 valves installed.

3. Red79z29

Red79z29 Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Ohio
    I know they've had some work done to them, and they have push rod guide plates, is this a stock feature?

4. mildthing

mildthing Veteran Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Benson, Utah
    No, GM didn't give them screw-in studs nor pushrod guideplates. And they work just fine even without having them cut for the bigger valves, though the 1.94s can help. Just be sure the shop adds a 75 degree bowl cut, or flow can actually suffer.
    If you have dished pistons, then you can keep the cam as mild as you like. If your 350 has flat-tops in it, then you'll need a more serious cam, or a lot of octane.
    416s respond well to good porting, and even ported are not prone to cracking.

5. Red79z29

Red79z29 Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Ohio
    Well, the heads in it now are causing a backfire that's why I'm putting in the 416's, but the rocker arms are moving quite a bit so I'm thinking there is already a pretty good sized cam in there. I'm not sure what pistons are in it, I guess I'll know when I take the heads off!

6. mildthing

mildthing Veteran Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Benson, Utah
    Heads causing backfiring? Maybe if you have some damaged seats / valves. Backfiring may also be a problem with your ignition advance or cam timing.
    Rockers moving may be cam / lifter(s) going bad, that would be a lubrication problem or too stiff springs ( or both ).
    No throwing parts at it until you know all the causes of all the problems. Good diagnosis isn't often easy, but it's most important.

7. Red79z29

Red79z29 Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Ohio
    Yes, it is a burnt valve...cam,timing,springs, and everything else turned out all right, and when I said the rocker arms were moving I meant the push rods were moving up and down pretty far not that the rocker arms themselves were actually moving on their own.

8. cmonson

cmonson Veteran Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta
    Yoi can't tell how large of a cam you have by watching the rockers move

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  9. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I don't know anyone who can eyeball it with any accuracy but you can measure the movement and get a pretty close estimate of the cam lift.

10. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

The 416s are kindof a little known junkyard secret... the ports actually flow quite well (for a production line GM head) - the same or better than most 350 heads. They are also a 'heavy' casting that is not prone to cracking or warping like the 'lightweight' castings. The chamber design is fairly good, similar to the old camel hump heads of the '60s, though with smaller chambers (58cc vs 64cc). Intake ports usually measure out around 165cc.

They work very well when upgraded from 1.84/1.50 valves to 1.94/1.50 valves - though its not generally recommended to go larger, especially on the intake, due to valve shrouding, because of the tiny chambers. Stay with 1.94/1.50 or maybe 1.60ex valve and you're golden.

This comes up from time to time on the 3rdgen boards, as most of their 305s came with these heads. There is a very good thread on porting these heads specifically at www.thirdgen.org by a guy names Sitting Bull.