1970 RS - A British Resto

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Cowman, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Cowman

Cowman Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Berkshire, England - UK
    Thanks everyone, progress is slow but steady, it feels good to finally be crossing some jobs off the list. I got the other roof joint welded up the other day, it needs some smoothing but should be plenty strong enough...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got the holes welded up on the rocker panels, I'm guessing they were for the trim plates which would have originally run down the side. Next I gave some attention to the front wing, the radiator support was bent so needed some persuading...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the wing must have been bent either at the factory or in the post this will need some persuading too...

[​IMG]

I'll weld a bar onto it and give it a tug, shouldn't be too much of a problem but still annoying. Once I'm happy with the wings I'm hoping to get the firewall and underside of the car sealed in black epoxy.

Question - I'm planning to do the firewall in black epoxy sealer, which I'm hoping should give a satin finish. I wasn't planning to put anything over the top, will this be ok?

Thanks for stopping by.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  2. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    The little holes at the rockers were I believe factory studs to hold the trim panels on and they were welded on.

I enjoy visiting you restoration . Very amazing to me to watch you hand fabricate so much . You 'll have a true hand build Camaro. and much nicer finish than alot factory work from back then. They seem to be in a hurry to get em out the door in the 70's.;)

I think the fire wall finish would be great IMO. Mine is dull finish . Not a fan of shiney firewall either, seems a bit over the top.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  3. mathd

mathd Member

Aug 3, 2008
    quebec
    Nice build there.

4. Cowman

Jul 16, 2010
    Berkshire, England - UK
    Thanks for your kind words. I managed to find a few of the original studs and ground them flat, I think the holes may have been added by whoever repainted the car. I prefer clean rockers but can always put them back on if need be.

I agree, I think a satin finish is best, I'm planning to do the inner fenders and radiator support in black epoxy too, same as the firewall. It should contrast nicely with the green I'm planning. I understand the epoxy finish is weatherproof but not UV resistant, however it should be fine in the engine bay away from direct sunlight.

All the best.

5. RICARDO1969

RICARDO1969 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Waukesha WI
    That is some nice welding Curious what machine are you using im in the market for a new machine looking at the Millermatic 180 I had enough of the old Lincoln flux welder.

6. Cowman

Jul 16, 2010
    Berkshire, England - UK
    Hi Ricardo, I'm using a Clarke 151TE Mig Welder.

I bought it ages ago from my local Machine Mart and its never let me down, I think it's limit is 6mm of mild steel but then I've never needed to weld anything that thick. It's perfect for what I'm doing at the minute and Mig is a great way to weld.

Here's the link... http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/151te-turbo-mig-welder#reviews

The Millermatic 180 looks like a nice unit, but I'm not that familiar with what you guys have got over the pond. All I can suggest is to try before you buy if you can. I was able to use my mates Clarke welder before I bought one - so I knew I'd get on with one.

Hope this helps.

7. Cowman

Jul 16, 2010
    Berkshire, England - UK
    Not much progress today, was out on a mates Stag do last night and spent a lot of today with a sore head recovering.

I did manage to get out and pick up a new toy though, still plenty of smaller parts to blast so I thought this would pay for itself.

[​IMG]

Should be back on it this week!

8. flak monkey

flak monkey Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Norfolk, UK
    Handy tool, hope you have a big CFM compressor to run it :eek:

9. The_Parts_Guy

The_Parts_Guy New Member

May 3, 2012
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Hello Cowman,

My name is Matt and your dad told me to check this site out. I have been working with your dad ordering parts from Classic. Your dad was right it is simply amazing what you have done with this car. Tell your dad Matt from Classic says Hello.

10. protour73

protour73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 21, 2006
    West of Chicago
    Hey Cowman, here are some pics of the modification I had done on my car for that Roof/Quarter Panel seam. This was a big concern of mine as I didn't want to put a ton of money into the paint and bodywork only to have it crack due to body flex later on. This is something you see on many 2nd Gen Camaro's. I added subframe connectors to add to the rigidity of the frame as well.

Great work on your car so far!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]