1980 camaro harness connections?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by 1980camaroguy, Jun 19, 2009.

1. 1980camaroguy

1980camaroguy Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Carleton, Mich.
    Hello team. I have replaced my V6 229 engine with a V8 and will be making the harness connections soon to it. Can anyone help me with all the reconnects since stupid me forgot to label things once removed. It looks like a total of ten individual connections to be made. Below is a picture for help.

[​IMG]

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I went through this same swap a long time ago... 1980 Berlinetta, 229 V6 to 305 V8.
    I've since replaced the 305 with a 350 so I've been through this twice. ;)

From memory.... (Which ain't great any more. :screwup: )

[​IMG]

Mine didn't have an electric choke so I'm not sure about that plug.
    I'm pretty sure the temp sending unit wire is green.

3. 1980camaroguy

Dec 8, 2008
    Carleton, Mich.
    Twisted, once again you da man on the response and help. Thank you for the details as well. I was told that I may need to extend the alternator cables from another member. I'll work on it this weekend and yes I am in the same boat: V6 229 to V8 305. As mentioned before the 305 was a total shock since it was said to be a 350. It has sat for 19 years in my dads garage. I am 46 years old and hope to have the 305 swapped out before I'm 50. I think you held onto your 305 for 20+ years. Yikes!! Thanks again!!!!

4. 3SLO5

3SLO5 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 7, 2001
    Edison NJ USA
    the second red wire with the black rectangle connector goes on the firewall to the ac harness to feed it power not to the distributer. The only distributer wire is pink.and if your running an aftermarket carb the factory choke wire wont feed full 12v to power it.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    You're right! Thanks for pointing that out!
    I left that one connected when I did my engine swap. :confused:

6. 1980camaroguy

Dec 8, 2008
    Carleton, Mich.
    Thanks 3slo5 and Twisted. The pink wire is only for distributor. Here are a couple of questions:
    1: Where is the AC harness connection located for that red wire at on the firewall?
    2: I have two seperate sending unit connections I'm not sure about for the harness. One is behind the distributor on the back on the engine block and the other one is below next to the oil filter. The oil sending one has a two connection prong but the one by the distributor was broken off so I don't know if its a single prong type or a two prong type?

Where on the harness do these connect? I see that Twisted has marked the last "green wire" Temp sending as a ?. Why is it at the end of the harness instead of the middle? Or do I just pull it back to make that connection? AutoZone said the it should be dual prong type for my year and engine type.

7. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Here and there...
    On mine, there was a plug screwed to the firewall towards the passenger side by the hei. I believe the hood-light power came from this connection as well. It had a heavy red wire and a black wire (perhaps 18 ga) coming off of it.

See this pic - look to the left of the hei and under the distribution block. You'll see a connector screwed to the firewall.
    [​IMG]

You should have a two-pronged sending unit for your oil pressure idiot light on the top of the block - back by the distributor. The other sending unit may be for an actual oil pressure gauge (not stock). The 3-wire plug connects to the 2-pronged sending unit by the HEI.

While mine is now sideways, the sending unit & plug mount here (where my brass fittings screw in - I'm running 2 sending units from this port):
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure where the original temp sending units were located, but mine is now in the cylinder head. If you locate yours on the passenger side head (where mine now is - see first pic between header tubes) the wire should line up in about the correct position. However, I can't verify what the green wire is for - you'll need to verify this first...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  8. 1980camaroguy

Dec 8, 2008
    Carleton, Mich.
    Thanks BigMouse for the help. Here is a picture of my engine bay after pulling out my V6 and before installing the V8. It is hard to see but if you look in the middle of the firewall at the top there is a metal prong that is bolted down but it has no wires coming from it unless they are behind the firewall. Is this where the red AC harness wire connects?

[​IMG]

9. jose's 73

jose's 73 Veteran Member

Jul 3, 2003
    Bethpage,NY
    gold star for twisted! you have a non a/c car? its a wire hanger.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  10. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Big Mouse: I too advocate running both the "idiot" light oil pressire sensor AND a oil pressure gauge. Rudundat oil pressure gauges/sensors have alerted me to potential problems many a time. Great picture of implementing them too.