1981 camaro convertible

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by musclecarnut, Jul 19, 2007.

1. musclecarnut

musclecarnut New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    I just bought a 1981 camaro convertible from a friend. He was moving out of state and was going to crush the car if i didnt buy it. The car is VERY rough . The frame and trunk floor is good but the car will need alot. can anyone give me an idea of the rarity and value on this car? I am trying to get pics this afternoon.
  2. rgearhead

rgearhead Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 14, 2006
    some 1 here has 1 ,,,,but the convertibul was never done by gm i belive it was an after market thing,,,,,
  3. 71IrocRS

71IrocRS New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Minneapolis Minnesota
    convert after market done

I have a pic of a lates 70s camaro in convert down, looks strange since was not offered a GM. Can send you pic I saved , so odd, go to convert shop if need parts or top, will be all custom or robbed from another gm car of earlier generations cars.
  4. chevy-stu

chevy-stu Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2007
    I once had an 80' corvette convertible until I found out GM never made one, and realised why it leaked, rattled and generally drove like sh*t... sold it super fast...

Hope your Camaro's a decent conversion, with strenthened unibody..
  5. Teeter79Z

Teeter79Z Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Little Elm, TX
    Mike " MR.FBDY" has one. Fully restored and featured in a past Chevy Performers mag issue.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  6. rgearhead

Sep 14, 2006
    ^^^^^yep thats who has 1....
  7. Mark80Z28

Mark80Z28 Veteran Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Looks like it's going to need a top. Where would you even begin to hunt for one of those?
  8. rgearhead

Sep 14, 2006
    i would pass....to big a money pit sorry ,,,if this car wasent done profecionally its not safe .....just my.02
  9. TriK leader

TriK leader Veteran Member

May 30, 2001
    hudson, NY
    Hey there, here I am. I am the owner of the black 81 Z28 convertible. It appears by the pictures you have the white one made in 81. I was told there was only 1 of each color made in 81. 1-black, 1-white, 1-red, 1-yellow and 1- silver/grey. It looks like yours has the same style top as mine too.

The tops can be made at any auto upolstery shop that makes canvas tops as long as you have the bows. It appears your hardware it there so they should be able to make the top. By any chance does the car have the front windsheild header that has the 3 pins that insert into the top of the roof?

As for the rest of the car, that is all bolt on stuff. Don't worry about the fenders, nose and doors, you can get them anywhere. If you want to restore the car, let me know, I have a 80/81 z28 front nose and a couple sets of good doors. I also have a 79Z that I can cut the quarters off if you want them.

If you decide to bail on the project, let me know because I would consider taking it off your hands if you dont want to do it.

If you want to see my car, go to: http://www.trikfbdyprtsperformance.com/popatop_gallery.htm