1981 recaro trans am, nascar pacecar.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by andrew1977, Jan 20, 2010.

1. andrew1977

andrew1977 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2006
    parksvegas, BC
    i may be looking to buy one..not sure how rare they are,or if they can be worth mega bucks restored. are they harder to find then the 1980 transam indy pace car?

supposedly there were only 2000 1981 recaro trans ams ever made

heres some pics of one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

its a funny story about how i found it.

one day my friend and i were crusing in my 77 camaro, we went to mc donalds to grab somthin to eat, as i was walking in i had a guy compliment me on my camaro.. he told us how he worked at a storage facility, and how they have an 1981 pace car trans am sitting in their yard. he said the owner would want to sell it for $1500 or so. i thought nothing of it because i always get people offering me late 2nd gens. but i grabbed his buisness card anyway.

fast forward about 2 months, i drove the the storage place to have a look. what i saw was an old t/a that had a goofy interior, and a nascar decal on the fenders. (the pace car decals must have been removed).

i didnt think much of it at the time, i thought the guy was full of sh!t when he said it was a pace car. so i didnt even try to get ahold of the owner.

this was about half a year ago. a few weeks ago i drove by and its still there. i thought about the car and decided to look into it... i just found out that it is a real recaro pace car

im going on saturday to have anouther look with my dad.

from what i saw, the car needs a full resto. the interior is in great shape though.

so if it was restored proper, would it bring the same money that the other t/as bring? i was watching barret jackson and saw a few 77s go for 30-40k.

i know ishould ask this on trans amcountry, buti don't wantto goon their site for just one question

2. dirtplay1975

dirtplay1975 Veteran Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Arkansas City, KS
    well they are a limited production car, and only those 2000 of them had that interior, Ive only seen one in person. Althought the turbo 301 is lacking in power they are a blast to drive, I loved my 81 turbo trans am. If you look they are ont he rise pricewise just like the camaros

3. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    WoW!!! I love that interior......

ALWAYS been a fan of the red and black combo interior. So tits.
    Loved the '96 Grand Sport combo as well. But man that's hot.

Too bad the T/A is white......I can't stand white.....
    Red would look so much nicer or Black.

4. andrew1977

Oct 1, 2006
    parksvegas, BC
    just found out over 5000 1980 t/a pace cars were made, only 2000made in 81.

i hope the car is still forsale.

5. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's funny because I have just stripped down and parted out two of these!
    One was left on some rental property we had and another was abandoned at our shop!

They are fun cars and not really much on power but handling is good. Most of the rear disc brakes usually need a caliper resleeve / rebuild since the pistons get cocked and stuck from not being used and cycled.

The killer part is the Recaro N model seats with the special brackets. Even though the newer versions of the Recaros are much nicer and have more lateral support, a good seat of T/A Pace Car seats are sometimes going for more than a new set!

If it's in decent shape, have fun with it and enjoy it!

If it is worth your time and money to restore or even restofy to your taste, have at it! The T/A country people will yell, "Blasphmy!!!" but so what? It's your car!

6. boardog

boardog Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2006
    north ga
    good driver with nice paint and nice interior with all original equipment 6,000 to 10,000 super nice #1 restored car 15,000 to around 19,000 depending on milage and any original paperwork. even though they only made 2,000 of them the 81 just does not bring the money like the 80 or earlier years.

7. andrew1977

Oct 1, 2006
    parksvegas, BC
    yea... i think it would be a fun car that might be worth somthing down the road..

if we were to get it, we would store it somwhere until i get my 80z28 done. it would be a sweet car for my first frame off resto.

8. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you do get it, there are a few parts that those cars need frequently and are not reproduced any longer. It mostly is dealing with the turbo indicator light system on the hood and there are some pressure switches in the manifold that are mounted on a plumbing T fitting.

Also, a lot of the wiring and vacuum connections are specific to the car so you may want to access what it has and the condition, so you can hunt down those parts while you finish your Camaro.

Who knows what the availability will be when you tear into the T/A!

9. 3SLO5

3SLO5 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 7, 2001
    Edison NJ USA
    i want the seats.

10. andrew1977

Oct 1, 2006
    parksvegas, BC
    really? i think the seats don't match the car...not really my style.

2 more days and i shouldknow if the car can be bought.... im excited.

between my dad and i, this would be the 5th 2nd gen f-body project... 6project cars all together... he has a mustang aswell.