200+ pound of lead from a yard sale.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Jim Mac, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Jim Mac

Jim Mac Veteran Member

Dec 28, 2004
    tucson az USA
    Hitting the yard sale this morning, guy had a small lead bar in a box. I asked how much figure I could use it for something. Guy says you want lead? and on the side of the yard is the 18 inch long stakes, looks like cable attach to it, (maybe a ground) 2 25 pound bars, 1.5 50 pound ingots 6 other 5-8 pound ingots. Tells me take it all for 10 bucks. I figure I can take it to the recyclers for more than that.
    Another guy had a tool box stuffed with odds and ends, 10 bucks! inside is taps and dies, USA stuff, small dies from #4 up to 3/8 coarse. a starett 2-3" outside caliper, battery terminals, terminal cleaners. punches, extensions, body dolly. some junk, some good. Havent been to many yard sales since getting the new job a few months ago and the holidays. Feels pretty good.
    Threw the lead on the local gun classifieds for 50 bucks. we'll see. jim
  2. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

people who cast their own bullets should grab that lead up in a heartbeat. Good find!:)
  3. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Houston, Texas
  4. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Money for lead? Crap, I've been using a 50 lb block I found in the barn as a doorstop for 12 years.:screwup: :eek:
  5. rwild1967

rwild1967 Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Look behind you!
    What kinda door have you got that needs a 50# doorstop?
  6. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Under my Camaro
    Dirt car racers use valve covers as a mold to make weights to bolt to their rollcage also.
  7. Jim Mac

Jim Mac Veteran Member

Dec 28, 2004
    tucson az USA
    If this stuff doesnt sell and I decide to get into casting bullets is there anything to be aware of like lead poisoning? jim
  8. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    Spot price on lead is $.915/lb. Sell it and buy a bunch of bullets.
  9. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Podunk, CT

That's a nice score on lead. I'd consider casting bullets if I found that much lead. Lymann makes a small casting pot and moulds are easy to come by. You just need to be in a well ventilated area. I hear castboolits.com is the site to check out for casting.
  10. Jim Mac

Jim Mac Veteran Member

Dec 28, 2004
    tucson az USA
    im going to call the recycle place monday and see what they pay to see if its worth hauling down. Ive got sheets of milled aluminum some 3/8" thick, some 1/2" thick and some 1 inch thick that was used in a imagesetter basically a stable aluminum box that feeds film through the bottom and has a laser mounted on top. May be worth cleaning up all the scrap. jim