200r4 question

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ctchap70, Jun 20, 2011.

1. ctchap70

ctchap70 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think I heard somewhere that the 200r4 trans is the same length as the turbo 350 and that you can use your stock drive shaft. Is this true and what should be done to beef it up to handle 400 hp and tourque? Thanks CC

2. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
  3. Patrick73RS

Patrick73RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

+ 1.
    Got my 2004R from Chris at CK performance and loved the upgrade.

4. Brown`77Z28

Brown`77Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 11, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Yep it`s a pretty easy bolt-in and you will looooove that OverDrive ;) :crazy:
    I have one from Jake modified and all with all the good parts.

5. 2ndgenguy

2ndgenguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 8, 2004
    clarksville, TN, USA
    I did this swap a few weeks ago. It was easy, just had to do a little modification on the cross member. I put it in for power tour, made the tour and blew the front pump on my way home. I had all the upgrade parts but not the time to install them. I am only running 350-375 hp and puked a freshly rebuilt stock one. I was trying to save money and swore I would take it easy on it for the tour, couldn't help playing a bit on the gm proving grounds though. Cost me an extra 1000 miles of driving to go home and get my truck and go back and get it. Lesson learned. Make sure you get the upgrades. Oh, I did get around 20 mpg with a 3.73 rear doing 75-80 on the interstate :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  6. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Wadsworth, OH
    I have a 200-4R trans in my Buick GS. From the Buick board, and these transmissions came in all the Grand Nationals, there are only three names that come up as being the best at building one to take abuse.

CK Performance http://www.ckperformance.com/resources/GM2004RCATALOG.html

Janis Transmissions in Akron, OH http://local.yahoo.com/info-15649588-janis-automotive-transmissions-akron

CPT Transmissions in California (Art Carr) http://cpttransmission.com/

I got my parts from CK, and Vince Janis built it for me. His shop is only 25 minutes from my house, so it was a no-brainer for me. Four years in my car behind my 462 cid Buick engine pushing 500 hp and no complaints.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  7. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    There are several other good 200-4R builders. Lonnie@ Extreme Automatics is one, Mike Kurtz in Tx, and a handful of others that can make them live.

8. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    I've asked this question before, and what I got was "do you really want to use your stock driveshaft b ehind a 400 hp motor?". Driveshafts and U joints are usually one of the first driveline upgrades I guess.

9. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Wadsworth, OH

I'm sure there are other reputable shops that can build them. These are the three that the Buick community always mention when someone wants a good transmission.

10. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    In the Turbobuick community,
    I've never seen CPT recommended.

CKPerformance, Extreme Automatics, Vince Janis, Bruce Toelle, David Husek, Jason White, Otto's, and myself were most of the heavy hitters in that market. I quit dealing with them due to demand for my 4L80Es and some issues with the aftermarket parts quality, I believe some of the others have quit or slowed down.