3rd gen rear end swap ????

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by 2nd gen Guy, Aug 12, 2012.

1. 2nd gen Guy

2nd gen Guy Veteran Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Coon Rapids, Mn
    So I have a nice posi unit and 3.73 gears that I got for my 3rd gen Camaro. I sent the diff out for blast and paint but wound up picking up a '80 Camaro ( my true LOVE, 2nd gen !!). It has nothing for gears or posi and I wonder if its possible to modify the 3rd gen diff to fit. I know the coil spring perch is wrong but I could cut it off so the leafs will work ? I do have welding and fab ability so I don't mind doing it if its workable.
    Anybody have experience with this ?

2. tjb408

tjb408 New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    pomeroy ohio
    the third gen rear is a 7.5 inch ring gear. and not near as strong as the 8.5 that would be under the 80. plus i think it is a lot narrower than the 80 would be.

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

sell the 3rd gen rear for enough money to buy a new gear set for the 8.5" in your 80.

4. fabrik8

fabrik8 New Member

Mar 13, 2012
    houston
    if you have a welder and fab skills why not just make a fourlink using the existing brackets. cit off the spring brackets and make some new coil over mounts and a nascar style sway bar and BAM!!! YOU GOT A ONE OF A KIND CAR. AS FOR THE GEARS. IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY JUST PUT SOME FORGED... oops, left the caps on... parts and make it bullet proof. unless the diff doesnt completely comprehend. good luck.

5. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 24, 2008
    NJ
    Thats pretty funny, you can brake a 3rd gen rear with a completely stock car.

Keep the rear from the 80 and rebuild that

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Reasons to not do it.

1. it has coil spring mounts
    2. it is too wide for your car
    3. it is a weak rear end

Reasons to keep your 2nd gen rear

1. It fits
    2. It is much stronger than the 3rd gen stuff.

7. 2nd gen Guy

Jul 29, 2012
    Coon Rapids, Mn
    Well, my thots did run along the lines of just rebuilding the existing, figured since I have the 3rd gen it was worth looking into. The time line of events really s**k since I had got the posi just 2 wks b4 finding the 2nd gen. Now I got ALOT of rear end parts for a car I don't plan to finish !!!!! Thanks for the input... anybody want to buy a 3rd gen rear end ? LMAO !

8. 2nd gen Guy

Jul 29, 2012
    Coon Rapids, Mn
    Oh and last thot on the 80 rear end is its a 2.41 so from what I learned so far is the biggest gear I can go is 3.08 ?

9. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Painted Post NY
    I think you need a 3 series carrier for anything 3.08 and higher ( 3.08, 3.42, 3.73, etc). They do sell adapter rings but some people do not recommend them (weak)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  10. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    7.5 3rd gen rears are weak