4:11 Gears and highway travel???

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by mattvogt, Feb 12, 2008.

1. mattvogt

mattvogt Member

May 29, 2005
    Penfield, NY, USA
    Hello everyone, basically I am thinking through which route i want to go with a transmission. I have 411 gears in my rear end, and right now I have a TH350 and a rebuilt 350 with roughly around 350 horsepower. What can I do OTHER than change the rear end gears to drive on the highway, like everything that I have read says that 4:11's suck on the highway, and you really want like 373 or 342's if the car is going to be going that far.

I wouldnt mind a transmission swap, but I have pretty limited funds as Im a college student. This is a project, not my daily driver, so nothing needs to happen soon. I just want to start and get ideas about my project over the summer.

I would like a manual tranmission I think, like if its in my price range. I would obviously love a T56, like everyone, but I think its fairly out of the question at the moment.

Would a 4 speed do alright on the highway, or are the gears still to large to get up to around 90 mph?

I think Id like a 5 speed, but everything that I have heard says that they are too weak to use. I have seen the TKO's but they are a good amount of money, about as much as a T56. Any options are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading this and thanks for the help.

Matt

2. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Podunk, CT
    Most 4 speeds I have seen, still have a 1:1 ratio in 4th, so you're not gaining anything switching. I'd put at least a 28" tall tire on if you don't already have that (275/60-15 is a good example). How much driving do you actually do on the highway? I have 4.10's in my car, and it is singing on the highway, but I don't care since it's not my daily driver.

3. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    +1 to waht Flash said.

Unless you have a motor that likes to stay stretched out in the 4-5,000 range, you don't want to drive at highway speeds with 4.11s. 1:1 ratio is correct in 4-speeds in 4th gear.

4. 82-87 Chevy trucks had an aluminum 4 spd O.D. tranny it needs the bell housing that came with the tranny.

5. 1FstChevy

1FstChevy Veteran Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Buckeye State
    Ideally I'd say go for the 6speed, but your options are going to be limited if thats out of your budget at the moment.

Personally my Z28 loves to cruise with its 4:10 rear end in 6th gear! roughly 2500RPM @ 60 but it'll happily shoot for 6K at higher speeds for a long period of time, however thats with a Richmond 6 speed (strong to 800ft lbs) so its different than the standard T56 most people seem to have.

6. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    I also have a 6spd with 4.10 gears and a 28" tire and it cruises along the highway great. Going from a 26 to a 28" rear tire dropped the rpms at 60mph from about 1750 to just over 1400.

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    A 200-4R swap isn't cheap but I would go with that option before I converted to a manual with OD gears.

A Gear Vendors OD unit will bolt to your TH350.... Again, not cheap.

8. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 8, 2001
    san bernardino calif
    i'm running 4.10's in my camaro and with 28.5 inch tall tires it's about 3k at 60mph and it really doesn't bother me . i'm getting ready to go thru the axle since i hurt it and go up to 4.56 gears and according to some of those online gear/rpm computers rpm's will only go up 332rpm

here's what i tell people with low gears just sit back and enjoy the drive/scenery and eventually you'll get there

9. mattvogt

mattvogt Member

May 29, 2005
    Penfield, NY, USA
    The tires that I have on my car are 295/50/15's. So there arent really any 5 speeds for other factory GM cars that I can throw in? Like I want to be quick off the line, but I also want to be able to cruise a bit. I dont really think Ill drive that much on the highway, i just want it to be easily done if I want to take it somewhere a little off the beaten path.

Would that 4 speed with overdrive work fine? like obviously I'd need all the linkages and such, but you think its strong enough?

Any ideas on the T-5's stock for the V8 F-bodies in the 80's? thanks for the help guys.

10. Dstryr

Dstryr Veteran Member

May 16, 2007
    Gilroy, CA

All 5 speeds from early gm years were junk. You will break it before anything so dont waste money / time putting one in. Especially the 80's T-5's... They broke from the 305's that came with those cars. Your best bet is to find an lt1 t56 at a deal price (like 7-800) and do the swap on a budget. Its going to be your best bet...