406 Cam choice

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by dakotamc94, Nov 4, 2016.

1. dakotamc94

dakotamc94 Member

Jul 7, 2014
    Lexington, Ky
    Been awhile since I've posted but I was hoping for some input on this build. It's not my first rebuild or engine swap, but it is my first build in search of power.

So here's a rundown of my current situation. The car is an '81 Trans/Am, currently has a Goodwrench 350. I have a 400 in the machine shop receiving a .030" overbore. Bottom end is stock with the exception of KB 30cc dished pistons.

So my question is kind of broad. I need a direction for cam choice, carbueration, stall convertor and gearing as this car is completely stock. I'm not looking for long distance cruising or mpg. I'm literally planning on beating on this car on Saturday nights around town from stop light to stop light.

The transmission has been rebuilt using some upgraded internals to handle the abuse I plan to throw at it. Exhaust includes a set of Heddman full lengths to an x-pipe through a set of 40's. I was leaning towards 3:73-4:11 gears, running 265/75r15 rears.

My cam/carb choice is where I'm really unsure. I have a nice set of Dart Iron Eagle S/S heads that I will be using. They are the 165cc casts with 67cc combustion chambers. May not be the best head choice for this engine but it's what I have to work with for now on my shoe-string budget.

Sorry for such a long winded post but I wanted to cover all the bases for the best answers. Thanks in advance everyone!

2. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Frostbite Falls MN
    Do you realize that head/piston combo is going to be under 9-1 compression?

3. dakotamc94

dakotamc94 Member

Jul 7, 2014
    Lexington, Ky
    My fault, just realized I completely botched that piston dish size. The pistons are very similar to the stock dished 400 pistons. So actually the cc should be somewhere between 13-17. I'll have to ask my machinist to be 100%. But going a different route on pistons isn't out the window and this would be the perfect moment to do so.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  4. Highlife

Highlife Veteran Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Somewhere down in Texas
    Maybe thrasher and fatkid will see this post. Fatkid freshened my 406 and it kicks!

Bopfly likes this.
  5. dakotamc94

dakotamc94 Member

Jul 7, 2014
    Lexington, Ky
    Maybe so! I've read as much of the two previous 406 threads where they discussed so many things but I still have questions of my own as my build will be slightly different and used in a different manor.

6. fatkid_racing

fatkid_racing Veteran Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Saginaw Texas
    30cc is a lot of dish, and the compression height on KB pistons suck. If I have some downtime later I'll math you a combo,

Bopfly likes this.
  7. F-Bodypilot

F-Bodypilot Veteran Member

265/75 15 sounds like a truck tire, it will be very tall.

8. dakotamc94

dakotamc94 Member

Jul 7, 2014
    Lexington, Ky
    Sorry I was trying to go off memory on that tire size. I'm running a 275/60r15 Firehawk.

Here is a link for the pistons I'm running guys. They are Silv-o-lite dished pistons. Not sure what the exact dish size is.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/uem-1443-030

9. dakotamc94

dakotamc94 Member

Jul 7, 2014
    Lexington, Ky
    Any suggestions at all would be appreciated

10. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    235 intake 240 exhaust duration at 50 and a 108 overlap on the cam. Holley brand 750 double pumper. This will be great for what you have. Howards cams, Comp Cams, Lunati and are great choices for cams and lifters. A hydrolic Roller would be best but a flat tappet would be more econical and still run fine. Make sure you break-in cam with right manufactures oil.