4L80E stand alone with non-computer motor?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Chaindrive, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Chaindrive

Chaindrive Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Cornpatch, USA
    There is a fella that is interested in buying my 454 i have for sale to put in his 4x4 pickup. He has (I'm reasonably sure without having actually seen it) a 4L80E od transmission, but he wants to put a carbureted, non-computer 454 in the truck. Like me, he's an analog guy in a digital world.

I told him I thought there were stand-alone computers for just the transmission available, but I know absolutely nothing about them. I'm not a huge fan of slush boxes and limit myself to TH400's and an occassional TH350.

His truck sees some heavy towing and hauling so he needs to keep the bigger tranny that I think he already has. Doing a tranny swap would also entail a t-case swap and probably driveshaft mods, too, and I'm sure he wants to avoid all of that.

How difficult is it to run a computerized tranny behind a non-computerized motor?

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

you are correct, you need a stand alone controller. search this forum for 4L80E you'll probably get a detailed answer.

3. Toy71Camaro

Toy71Camaro Veteran Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Central Valley, CA
  4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

oh and I am 99.93578% sure jaskshoe can get you everything you need.

5. Chaindrive

Chaindrive Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Cornpatch, USA
    Great info guys, Thanks! I checked out that link and I'll pass it all along to him. It should help him decide if really wants to go that route and maybe help me get that motor sold.

6. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
    There's a couple options for controllers, TCI, Bowtie Overdrives, or there's the manual valvebody option.
    They're great transmissions, and an email to Jake is well worth it.