5 spoke wheels color (early) or where to get it?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Camarogirl1971, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Camarogirl1971

Camarogirl1971 New Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Arkansas, USA
    Hello, me and my husband just got our cleaned 5 spokes back and started to paint them with the color we received from Classic Camaro, only to see it looks like a Battleship gray color. Tell us this isn't the correct color is it? YUCK! If there is a name of the right color that be picked up at a paint store or where to order it from, just let us know. Any help would be appreciated, Michelle.
  2. WildBillyT

WildBillyT Veteran Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Raritan NJ
    Sounds like you got a can of "rallye wheel paint" for first gens and vettes. You can check with Eastwood for the correct color, they probably have it.
  3. Type LT/RS

Type LT/RS Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2003
    Wenatchee, WA 98801
    Try calling these guys They were great to work with I'm sure they wouldn't mind telling you what they use.They buy and restore vintage wheels. http://www.akhwheels.com/pages/showWheel.php?pk=132
    I Just bought a set of pontiac RallyIIs from them 4 Rally IIs with the correct Stainless steel caps and trim rings 15x43/4 4.5 in backspace for 450$
    They are gorgeous
  4. fvdillon

fvdillon Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 16, 2000
  5. Kasey74

Kasey74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Try PPG DCC-32961-P (DCC is a concept code, and the P mean's a prophet formula). - (A prophet is apparently a handheld computer that you can hold up against a paint color - it "read's" the color tone's, and print's out a paint formula ! That's what I was told anyway !?) Anyway, it took me a long time to find this paint code, and according to 10 different paint shop's I called, and PPG directly, this is the proper replacement code for the discontinued DDL-32961, DUA-32961,etc (some shop's may still have the DDL formula , but I could'nt find any in my area), except that it does'nt have the "suede" finish in it. You can duplicate this with some mat clear over the paint by "dusting" or "dryspraying" a coat of clear, and then wet spraying another coat of clear over that. HINT - Make sure you prime the wheel's in a medium to dark grey primer - the DCC-32961-P paint seem's to be very thin. I primed my wheel's with a white primer( just because I was doing some body part's at the same time ) and it took about 10 coat's of paint to get the right tone of grey to cover over the white primer !
  6. Kasey74

Kasey74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Has anyone else used the PPG DCC-32961-P paint on their rim's ?