72 wiring questions

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Shawn Sadler, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Shawn Sadler

Shawn Sadler New Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Hi guys, trying to straighten up some wires, I have the alternator figured out but have 3 wires in pic that I think went to starter when I pulled the old engine out(it was a mess) the factory diagram said it should have a 12 purple but I am not seeing that . Hopefully you guys can tell me how to fix this mess

Attached Files:

2. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2012
    des moines, iowa
    That first pic looks like there is a black and oil stained purple solenoid wire next to that yellow one. Originally it ran down the rear of the intake and into a metal sleeve in GM's weak attempt at protecting it from excessive heat. On a lot of my engine harnesses I prefer to route the starter wires along with the charging system wires and instead route the wires down the front of engine then underneath to the rear of motor.

3. Rdobbs1977

Rdobbs1977 Veteran Member

Dec 1, 2014
    TN
    no clue from your pic. If you think they are starter wire related then that should not be hard to figure out.

4. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

44 year old harness...I'd definetly look into replacing it. i did both light and engine harness on my 72. the Engine one if you talk to M & H electric fabricators can be modded for your needs. if your running HEI type ignition they can insert a non resistor wire to power it and get rid of the yellow wire from starter R terminal to coil which isn't needed for electronic ignition, got an electric choke,they can add a wire for that. i got mine stock and did those mods myself, plus rerouting water temp sensor wire to front top of intake and wiring for internal reg alternator. i didn't know at the time m&h would mod one of theirs for you. Its well worth the money when you think how brittle that old insulation is and that heavy red wire feeds your fuse block and send power to battery for charging. probably run you around 125-150.