A gift from my father.

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by JerryJuke, Feb 12, 2012.

1. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

^^THIS!!!
    the only thing I would do to it is re-glue the original headliner material back in place.

Damned nice car just the way it is.:cool:

2. Millz90

Millz90 Veteran Member

Nice car Jerry!

What type of glue would you use to glue the headliner? I need to do mine as well!

3. JerryJuke

JerryJuke New Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Ventura, Ca
    Got the temp. Registration today off to smog;) This weekend...cant wait to be legal!!!

4. 2000SS

2000SS Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Ohio
    I'd say your headliner is shot. There is a foam backer that has deteriorated. If you try to glue it, the glue will come through the holes and you will have a big mess. ETA: Looking back at your pictures, looks like what someone tried to do around edges.

Take out all the trim around it and remove the light then you can pull the whole thing out of the car to recover it. Pull off the old material and clean up the cardboard. Some sandpaper and an air compressor works great. You need to get all the dried up foam off. Then glue on your new headliner.

You can buy the original along with glue that won't eat up the foam from places like Year One. I think the material is something like $80.

I've covered a few in my time but didn't want to spend that kind of money on material. I always take a piece of my interior into a fabric store to match color. I'm sure you can get vinyl's and such but I get the fuzzy stuff. More like modern cars have. Then use a can of 3M type adhesive to glue it down.

Tip on gluing. Spray the cardboard and the liner. Wait till their tacky to the touch. Get yourself a bunch of "lay sticks". Use whatever you have. I have a stack of thin strips of wood. 3/4 pine cut into about 1/4" strips. Space those out over the cardboard after its tacky then lay your cover over them. Now you can move it around to get it lined up without it sticking in the wrong place. If you try to freehand this and your off, your screwed. Once lined up pull the middle stick and work your way out to the outer edges. Pull a stick, roll material flat, repeat. Then trim edges with a sharp blade.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  5. JerryJuke

JerryJuke New Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Ventura, Ca
    Finally

Received my California plates last week in the mail so now i can actually drive the car legally. Haven't done anything to the car, been busy with our new baby girl and the 18 month old girl. i told my wife that in about 10 years I'm gonna move out to the back garage permanently. Hope to find time to get the camaro down to a buddies shop this week to go threw the engine. ill write more when theres something to write about. :)

6. cute :) and lol about the moving into the garage :D

7. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    Welcome to the new baby! maybe your Camaro will have to wait a bit.. It comes done for your babies! ;D

8. JerryJuke

JerryJuke New Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Ventura, Ca
    Wow almost one year to the day of making my first post on here i decided it was time to restore the inside of my camaro...

Started taking apart the interior yesterday. Goal is to strip inside down to metal and restore back to original (or as close to) state. I have the new carpet and some panels to replace the sun beaten brittle ones. Need to order headliner still, and I'm looking to install a nice stereo system (will keep original stereo installed, not connected, want to install new deck under original where a previous owner installed an EQ) I will have many questions along the way and I'm sure you guys will have most all of the answers.

First thing I'm looking for is a complete bezel with NO A/C and NO rear defogger switch (look at my previous posts to see why)...ive been looking on the web and cant find one.

Hopefully someone can post me a link were i can get one

wish me luck Ive never done anything like this in my life :)

9. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

Feb 7, 2013
    bradenton fl.
    WOW the build sheet!! I've never found oned in any of myy cars........that is so awesome!!!