AC initial Charging

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by badazz81z28, Jan 8, 2017.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Is initial charging of the AC system something I can do? VA seems to have alot of particulars to do and not not to do and frankly I dont trust people messing with my car unless I have to. I doubt many around here are experienced with classic cars with aftermarket systems

2. Bill70

Bill70 Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've done this many years ago. I rented a vacuum pump and ran that for an hour then slowly added the change cans until the system was full and blowing cold. The pump will also allow you to check for leaks before adding refrigerant. At the time I don't think I even had manifold gauges, just used the sight glass (R12). I also replaced a compressor on a Jeep without a vac pump. Added the correct amount of R134 and called it good. It's not the correct way to do it but it worked great for many years.

3. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Member

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    I wouldnt recommend it, unless of course you do have one of those big fancy air conditioning machines. You will most likely get better results from having it hooked up to a machine, rather than the old manifold gauge/vac pump/little refrigerant can method. You absolutely want to put the system under vacuum, which will first help to tell you if you have everything buttoned up tight. Charging a system that has a leak will just be a huge pain in the ass for you down the road. Believe it or not, air conditioning from car to car is pretty similar, so i wouldnt be real concerned with the new system in an old car thing.

4. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    ^^ Not worried about the car being old or the AC being new, more so the system is an aftermarket kit in an old car. Many yahoos out there don't understand and they try to work it as a factory set-up not following the manufacturers instructions. VA has steps outside normal servicing, and the more important piece....I'm not leaving a classic car with $40K in mods in the care of a stranger.

5. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    badazz
    Since I didn't have a vacuum pump available to me the way I charged my VA system was to put a can of the R134 thru the low side and depress the high side connection until the refrigerant bleeds the air out of the system and then start charging the low side until the bubbles in your sight glass disappear and you should be good. My VA system here in Texas last summer kept my 71 real cool. My way is probably not the desired way to charge up an A/C system but it worked for me.

6. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have all the tools I need to get it done. After getting quotes of $200 to charge my system, glad I'm doing it myself