Advice needed on truck shocks

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by kawboy, Apr 28, 2012.

1. kawboy

kawboy Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Indiana
    I have a 97 fullsize extended cab 2WD pickup that is stock ride height except for the 2" drop shackles in the back to level it out. I need to replace the shocks on all four corners and was wondering what the best shocks are. Bilstein, Monroe? Are the Edelbrock shocks worth the money? Give me your thoughts and advice please.

2. grog

grog Veteran Member

Aug 29, 2002
    nj
    I've had Edelbrock and Bilstein on my Suburban, I'll take the Bilstein's any day. They're firm but not harsh, the Eledbrocks just didn't impress me. KYB's are junk, and that's being nice.

3. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.
    I've had the Rancho RS5000 shocks on the '98 GMC for quite a while and they seem to be ok, No extreme off roading though.

4. kawboy

kawboy Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Indiana
    Thanks guys. I will probably look into the Bilsteins

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I've had Monroe Magnums on my 4wd trucks for the last 30 years and love them. They provide real ride control. Prior to that, I had a set of Ranchos and wasn't impressed with them. The Monroes beat them easily.

6. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Monroe and Rancho are both owned by Tennaco. Although they aren't manufactured in the same factory, I understand they share a great deal of design and engineering. That being said, I put a set of Rancho 5000 series shocks on my dad's '06 Dodge Ram last year. It rides a LOT better than the OE shocks according to him.

7. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Although you only used the shackles to lower the ride height, take a look at the shock angles. You should consider getting a set of shock mount relocators. They are usually used with flip axle kits and c-sections but Ive found some ride quality improvement since you are reestablishing the correct effective stroke distance of the shock.

I may have a set of used gas charged shocks for a lowered C-series pick up if you are looking for a deal.

8. kawboy

kawboy Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Indiana
    Kamikaze, I really appreciate the offer but I will pass.

9. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

No problem.

Got a lot of parts for the 88-99 C/K series GM Trucks from lowering many in the past.
    Just thought I would let you know.

Thanks for the reply.