Another cam selection opinion!

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by dallam2, Jun 18, 2009.

1. dallam2

dallam2 New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    Richmond, KY
    Gents;
    I rebuilt the 350 motor 15 years ago in my 80 Z-28. It has flat top cast pistons and home ported "993" heads and headers. The cam presently is the old SSI 214/224 grind and does pull smartly in all gears. I would like to have a bit more power and exhaust note and as such am considering a cam change.
    The auto is a 4-speed with 3.73 gears. I also have air conditioning and would like to keep it, so now for my question. In an effort at keeping costs down what do you gents think of the Elgin E-1166-P cam. It has 216/228 duration and .453/.480 lift figures and is ground on 112 degree centers.
    I believe the cam will have a noticable idle and pull like a freight train in high gear and best of all it's only 52 dollars! Am I off base here?

2. quick79z

quick79z Veteran Member

May 5, 2004
    saint john N.B canada
    dollars make sence,50$ hard to beat, horse power and torque are a different story,everybody complains and goes on about the comp xe stuff being noisy but the extreme energy comp cams and the lunati voodoos are EXTREMEY hard to beat,but hey thats a good cam for 50 bucks

3. 80'427

80'427 Veteran Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Fairbury, NE, USA
    It should be a great cam as long as your not expecting 50hp. It should be just a bump from what you have.

4. RacerRick

RacerRick Veteran Member

Jul 18, 2003
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    I would go with something with a little more snot to it. That cams specs are nearly identical to what you have.

I would step up to something like the old ES186R Sealed power cam. 230@50, .480 lift single pattern on a 109 lobe seperation. You have the gears, a four speed, and compression for this cam. Its also dirt cheap at $69 through enginetech without any discount. Any machine shop with an account will get something close to 30% off for their jobber rate.

5. dallam2

dallam2 New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    Richmond, KY
    Racer Rick; Thanks 4 your input but let me run this by you. The cam U mention is ground on 109 degree centers. Won't that be a huge problem when running my A/C at idle? I don't know a lot about cam specs and the real world but in my experience any thing less than 112 centers is going to be a problem running an auto trans and a/c. Granted I have low gears and a 4-speed and can get away with more but I am really worried about not being able to run my a/c at idle. Also, I do have a Comp Cam XE 268 in a box under my work bench but I have heard many complaints about it's "clatter" noise. That just won't do for me for I'm an old man and like to listen to my smooth jaz and run my a/c and ocassionaly show those YUPPIE girls putting on their makeup in their Beamer a thing or two!

6. Doug Jaynes

Doug Jaynes Veteran Member

Jun 2, 2000
    Michigan
    The cam you mentioned is only 2 degrees more on intake and 4 on exhaust, that is not going to even be noticible. A 214 or 216 @.050 intake cam is going to be pretty mild even if its on a 106 LS.

I would put the 268 cam in there, that isnt a big cam either but its enough bigger to make a difference. It will work fine, give it a try.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  7. dallam2

dallam2 New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    Richmond, KY
    OK looks like I won't get much more noticable oomph out of the Egin 1166 from the cam already in place. Using the XE 268 is out because of the "valve noise" I hear so much about. Well, I do have an old SSI cam in a box that has 224/234 duration and .465/.488 lift and ground on 112 degree centers. Unlike the similar XE 268 cam which is ground on 110 degree centers this old SSI grind might be compatable with my A/C because of the slightly wider centers but in my view I am pushing things. I don't want this motor to be too rowdy and I also have cast pistions and don't want to run it more that about 5500 rpm or so. Any comments?