Appliance wheels or cragar ss's with appliance center's?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by meangreen73, Jul 8, 2009.

1. meangreen73

meangreen73 Veteran Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    Hey guys I just got a good deal on a set of 15x8 wheels. They look like cragar ss's but they have appliance center caps. Did appliance make a knock off of the Cragars? I looked for numbers and names on the wheels but couldn't find anything but made in usa on them. So ill post a pict, tell me what u think they r, Appliance or Cragars with the wrong centers. Also what do u guys think these wheels r worth, they basically look brand new. Thanks

[​IMG]

2. stinkboy

stinkboy Veteran Member

Mar 29, 2008
    milton, florida
    looks more like a knock off of a Z28 5 spoke. maybe its just me.

3. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Yeah,that almost looks like a Z wheel chromed.

4. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    not a cragar wheel it is too sloppy to be a cragar if you look at the spokes cragars don't have lips at bottom also the lug holes mounting points are not a flat piece. Not a z/28 either bcause of outer lip no place to put trim ring.

Mike

5. meangreen73

Feb 16, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    no it definatly isnt a z wheel. It must just be how the picts taken that it looks like a z wheel. Plus it doesnt have trim rings like the z wheels do. I'll put a better pict up later when I get home.

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Looks like an appliance wheel. They went under years ago.

7. Desert_Dick72SS

Desert_Dick72SS Veteran Member

Feb 10, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    A friend of mine has those on his truck. They are Appliance copies of Cragars (kind-of). Center caps are plastic two-piece & he had given up on finding replacements, so we machined some two prong knockoffs to fit them.
    They were everywhere in the early 80's.
    Don't see them very often anymore.

-Rich-

8. meangreen73

Feb 16, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    yeah thats what i thought, but i wanted to make sure. What do u think there worth?

9. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A friend had those on his 68 back in the late 70's. They were an inexpensive Cragar SS copy and much thinner in the spokes than Cragar's too.

IIRC, the spokes were a stamped steel rather than the thicker cast metal Cragar used and the finish seemed to be brighter and last longer.

Other than what appears to some people as "casting flash" around the spoke holes, they are usually a pretty nice wheel for the period. Not sure they would be worth much except the person who really wanted a set.

10. stinkboy

stinkboy Veteran Member

Mar 29, 2008
    milton, florida
    never said it was a true Z wheel, i can see that it has no trim ring application.

i said it looks like a KNOCK OFF of a Z design. which is kewl to me. you can use them to paint match to the paint or change to any color or leave them chrome.