Automatic to Manual conversion...

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Jeffsz28, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Jeffsz28

Jeffsz28 Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Cocoa, Florida
    So I'm wanting to convert my 81 Z from an auto trans to a TKO 5 speed. My question is do i have to do anything to/with the steering column? I want everything to function like a factory manual trans car. Ill source a manual trans steering column if need be.

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Being that all the shift rods are inside a TKO there is no way to have a functioning column anymore.

3. iraqivet

iraqivet Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Hobart, Indiana
    You will need to either remove the column lock rod from the steering column or make a small bar / rod to keep your steering column in "run" (not the key) so it doesn't fall into park while driving and lock up your steering column.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    All I did was remove the rod and cut the arm off the column. The reverse lights will need to be wired up from the transmission

5. Jeffsz28

Jeffsz28 Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Cocoa, Florida
    Thanks for all the he replies. I suspected I'd have to modify the column somehow, you guys confirmed that for me.
    I appreciate the info, thank you!

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    ^^^ you don't even really have to. You can just remove the rod and leave the lever in the column alone

Jeffsz28 likes this.
  7. Jeffsz28

Jeffsz28 Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Cocoa, Florida
    Thats what i was planning on doing.
    Hows the shifter location? Ill be buying the trans as a complete "swap kit" for my gen and i see some vendors offer shifters that claim will be in in factory stock location in the console. I will be having a friend weld in a manual trans hump...

8. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The shifter came up in the back/right hand corner of my factory four speed hump. Had to trim a crescent shaped piece out of hump to let trans come up high enough. I'd go with Hurst drivelines vs American Power Train, APT sent me some crap cross members that had the holes for the trans drilled in the exact center (driveline sits off to passenger side by about an inch in our cars). They were a pain in the ass to deal with, just push the trans over it works....I've read lots of good posts on here about Hurst. Make sure your rear gear ratio will work with the TKO 500, 3.23 or 3.42 work out pretty good with the TKO 3.27 first gear.

9. Jeffsz28

Jeffsz28 Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Cocoa, Florida
    I was planning on buying everything from Hurst or Silver Sport transmissions. SST has a "perfect fit" auto to manual swap kit. Am planning on buying the TKO 600. Currently i have 3.73's. Would that work with the 600s' 2.87 first gear?