Benefits of MSD

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by th3assass1n, Apr 7, 2010.

1. th3assass1n

th3assass1n Veteran Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Costa Mesa, CA
    i was considering switching over to MSD but i wanted to know why its such a big difference alot of friends n such are saying to switch but i wanted to get some info about the advantages of it
  2. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    multiple spark, stronger spark, allows use of a bit of inferior gas. And many more.

3. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Higher efficiency through more consistent and complete combustion will yield more performance and can provide better fuel mileage if the vehicle is driven properly!
  4. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well put, it's all in the efficiency. It allows you to get to your max potential.
    It wouldn't give you any power, but it will allow you to utilize what you have.

5. hhott71

hhott71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Joplin Mo. 64801
    The MSD works below 3,000 RPM so the cylinder has a 2nd etc chance to fire and make some power vs losing that whole cycle in that hole.
    Also it helps keep the plug from fuel fouling and continuing to misfire.

See how capitalization makes it easier to read.
  6. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Does it help clean up a stinky idle out of the exhaust?

Can you get it to work with HEI ?
  7. 383CamaroZ28

383CamaroZ28 Veteran Member

could clean up the stinky idle, depending what it is

and yes works well with hei. if you do, i recommend buying the msd remote cap. this removes the coil from top of distributor, preventing it from prematurley burning out.

that and run a blaster ss coil that are like 30$
  8. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Central New York
    Why not run the MSD coil that they make to run in the HEI cap?
  9. 74RAT

74RAT Veteran Member

Dec 28, 2003
    ft. stockton,tx,usa
    they're hitting it perfectly. was designed during the early to mid 70's for lean burn applications. seems that it was so much better at lighting the lean mixtures and increased the efficiency of the burn at low engine speeds for everyday drivers.

i'm using the cap adapt on an HEI housing. coil and MSD6AL box are inside the car on a trans tunnel plate to isolate from engine compartment heat.

The HEI distributor design has a decent terminal spacing in the cap design to help eliminate crossfiring within the cap.

if you go this route,, don't forget the better designed carbon button that contacts the rotor. the stock ones don't last very long.
  10. 74RAT

74RAT Veteran Member

Dec 28, 2003
    ft. stockton,tx,usa
    you could,, but over the long run,, the electronics will last longer if kept away from the heat,, like within the car vs underhood. jmo.