Body Bushing Installation Tip

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Twisted_Metal, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I found a real easy way to replace the body subframe bushings. The whole trick is the jack placement! [​IMG]

I did one side at a time as the Energy Suspension kit (polygraphite) instructed.

First, I loosened ALL FOUR of the body mount bolts several turns. (I used PB Blaster on them a few times over the past month.)

Now, put the floor jack on the outside of the frame rail and inboard of the lower portion of the fender. Like so...

Then, I took the front bushing bolt completely out, took off the washer and put the bolt in the alignment hole next to that bushing. This keeps the frame from shifting! [​IMG]

Take out the rear bolt. Don't worry about the old bushings yet.

Place a 5 inch long piece of 2x4 in the area shown in the photo above and jack the body up just enough to remove the old bushings.

Once you have it high enough to remove the old ones, you should have enough room to drop the new ones in between the body and the frame. No prying should be needed but you may have to give the collars of the old bushings a rap with a hammer to push them up and out of the frame.

Now, lower the body down on the bushings and thread the bolts up into place with the other bushing halves and washers. Don't tighten them yet, just thread them in 1/2" or so.

Remove the jack and repeat the process on the other side.

Now, torque the bushing bolts to 90-100 ft/lbs and remove the alignment bolts.

If any of you wonder what kind of conditon these bushings are in after 25 years...

I hope this helps anybody that is planning to do this job without pullling the subframe off of the car. It really isn't a tough job!

It only took a little over an hour to do these four bushings. [​IMG]

Wish me luck on the ones by the radiator support!

[This message has been edited by Twisted_Metal (edited August 12, 2005).]
  2. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    It really isn't a tough job! Looking into this pretty soon myself. Hoping you're right.
  3. camertom

camertom Veteran Member

It was one of the first things I did when I started preping my 74. I too found it a relatively easy task.
  4. My73LT

My73LT Veteran Member

May 29, 2001
    Orlando, Fla
    Made a HUGE difference in the way mine drove.

Soon to be BBC, TH-400 w/2000 stall, 3.73 diff w/ Powertrax locker.
  5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Another winter task for me.

Hey, you gonna reuse that bolt? [​IMG]
  6. Twisted_Metal

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Only as a paperweight. [​IMG]

The bolts I reused for the alignment holes weren't nearly as bad.

I drove the car today and it really does make a difference in how it handles and rides. (The ride is a little firmer, less rattling in the dash/cowl area and the steering feels better too.) I've replaced these bushings, the rear springs and shocks this year. What a difference! [​IMG]
  7. 3origZlovers

3origZlovers Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 25, 2004
    Springfield,MO. USA
  8. wayback

wayback Veteran Member

Congratulations. That rusty junk looks a lot like mine did after removal. Aren't you glad you started soaking those bolts ahead of time? Let me know when you're ready for SFCs and I'll try to be there to help if you need it. [​IMG]

BTW Terry--where did you get your wheels balanced? I've still got that pesky front end vibration to deal with and a long road trip coming up.

9. Magnus

Magnus Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2001
    Ronneby, Sweden
    I am in the middle of changing my bushings now and the holes in the subframe was totaly rusted out but it turned out well after welding some new metal in.

I have not put the new bushings in yet but when I lift the body from the subframe as high as I have the guts to do I still miss a little bit to get the new byushings in, is it really possible to raise the body high enough without bending anything? I have to put a lot of force on the jack and still miss a little bit.

Thanks /Magnus
  10. Twisted_Metal

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I know what you mean. I cringed when I jacked mine up too. If you have the bolts completely out on one side and loose on the other side, it WILL lift far enough without prying. (I heard a little crunching noise when I lifted mine but it was only the jack biting into the 2x4. [​IMG])