Broken Pinion Shaft Bolt

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by camaro71/holland, Dec 26, 2007.

1. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Will help probably, but in most cases the bolt is already broken before you even touch it (from beatings taken from the pinion shaft).
  2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV

Being that this seems to be the most common bolt that breaks (on me too), I would say so...
  3. wardracing

wardracing Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    any chance anyone knows what the size of that bolt is on my dana 60. i just pulled the cover the other day of my 70 camaro and it was already broken.
  4. toadyoty

toadyoty Veteran Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Stanwood, WA
    Does ARP make this bolt? (they should)
  5. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    I know I have seen a lot of them broke off
  6. Bill_K

Bill_K New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Livingston, NJ
    The scribe method just worked for me. The broken pin still had one thread remaining so I was able to spin it right out. Total time for job about two minutes.
    The pin holding the side gears had to be driven out too, it is badly scored. This rear was badly abused before it became my property.
    Thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread. Your advice solved my problem.

7. Fme

Fme Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Usually there is one thread or half thread left. My Snap on kit consists of a long reverse drill bit and a bolt with a hole bored in it. I've only used it once and it worked. But all the others I've done, I've done with a pick, and I've done many. I use the kit as a last resort. Sometimes you have to move the pin a little to take any pressure off the bolt. And yes, the bolt is broke long before you touch a wrench to it.