cable exhaust cutouts

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by esgal, Apr 2, 2010.

1. esgal

esgal Veteran Member

Oct 13, 2009
    rochester, NY
    has anyone here ever used cable exhaust cut outs?

im looking into buying just a cheap set of cable exhaust cut outs such as

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mr-G...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

as anyone used these specifically, or have an extra set, or have an comments/warning/suggestions on them?

iv heard cable exhaust cut outs get rusted alot and dont work has that happened to anybody? i wouldnt be driving in any weather

or is something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exha...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item414b413e51

will work just as well

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i used to run cable style cut outs in the 70's but they didn't seal all that well and trying to weld cast iron to muffler pipe is kinda tricky !!!!

3. esgal

esgal Veteran Member

Oct 13, 2009
    rochester, NY
    Well the guy that helps me with my project is a professional welder, and I'm in high school if it doesn't seal all the way and is louder all the time I'm happy.

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427 Veteran Member

Sep 16, 2009
    Portland, Or.
    I used cable cutouts years ago, and eventually the cables or plates stick and you either can't get them open or can't get them shut. Nothing but a hassle.

5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    If you want some cheap cable cutouts just go to jeg's they now have them in
    2 1/2" size.

If you want to make some cheap why not try and use to 90mm GM electric throttle bodies and use the TAC with a switch to make them cheap. you could also use some cable t-bodies and run a cable to them and they are spring loaded.

6. esgal

esgal Veteran Member

Oct 13, 2009
    rochester, NY
    i found a place to buy them cheap, $27 shipped off ebay per side, for cast iron cable cutouts. but are they to cheap? i dont want to get into the electric ones because they could easily be litterly 10x the cost for both sides

7. Toomanyhobbys

Toomanyhobbys Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Mesa, AZ
    NO NO and Hell NO. I put them on my Camaro. I hated them, They would open up on one bank and make the car sound like crap. No NO NO NO NO

don't waste the money.

8. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

don't get them ........they don't seal worth $#$&^&%* and you'll have nothing but problems .why not just get a set of 3 bolt flange cut outs and this is what is on my camaro and takes less than 5 minutes to remove both caps

here's my set up :

[​IMG]

9. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Philly area
    Cable-operated exhaust cutouts are crapola for all the reasons stated above. Do like Muscl Car says. Use stainless steel hardware to hold the cap on so you can get it on and off easily for years,

10. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
    And lock washers, don't forget lock washers.