Cam Specs? Z010?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by rich1978, Mar 8, 2008.

1. rich1978

rich1978 Veteran Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I'm tearing down my 400 SBC to replace the heads with Vortecs and I was planning on a Comp 280H cam to swap for what I had figured wasn't much of a cam that's in there, but now I'm wondering. The old cam is stamped Z010 on the back (dizzy end), and if I'm measuring correctly it's got like .325 lobe lift (measured with calipers diameter along a lobe, then diamerter 90 degrees away, got ~.500, and ~.175 = .5 - .175 = .325). Can anybody tell me the specs on this? I could only find one post online and the guy there said it's a 292H cam with ~.501 lift which is possible my measurements are kind of rough. Thanks in advance!

2. rustbucket79

rustbucket79 Veteran Member

That measuring method only works with short duration cams. (accurately) You can look at both ends of the cam for other markings, but the reality is it could be one of a dozen different manufacturers and one of a hundred different grinds.

Were you thinking of reusing the cam?

3. rich1978

rich1978 Veteran Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Well I'm thinking of resuing it if it's got a little bit bigger profile than the 280H I've got picked out to go in there. If it is a 292H say, with .501 lift I'd probably give it the nod over the 280H with .480 lift. I re-measured it and came up with 1.510 and 1.175 = .335 * 1.5 = .502 lift. I see what you're saying about the short duration, although this one seems like it *might* work to measure this way. I re-mesaured the 280H and came up with 1.53 and 1.21 = .320 which is the advertised lobe lift.

4. rustbucket79

rustbucket79 Veteran Member

If you were happy with the cam's performance previously assuming the engine had smogger heads, it's going to be better with the Vortec heads, along with improved low speed performance due to the compression ratio increase.

If you want to accurately know what cam you have you could install it in a block and use a degree wheel to map out the lobes.

5. rich1978

rich1978 Veteran Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Well I never actually got to run it out on the street or at the track with that cam, but it had a pretty decent idle I thought, and like you said it should only do better with the Vortec heads. I guess the next step is like you said, get out the degree wheel and get to the bottom of this.