cheap aluminum or Vortec Heads

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Tirefryer, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Tirefryer

Tirefryer Veteran Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    Ok, I decided to do a top end on my 81z, It is a stock bottom end on second rebuild with maybe 4K on the second rebuild and 882 heads. I am looking at the Scoggin vortec kit, already ground for a 525 lift cam. My other option is the Pro Comp aluminum heads with airgap intake to keep me in the same budget range as the vortec kit from Scoggiin.. Which would give me the best bang for the buck? Also which Cam would you suggest for each application.

2. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Frisco, TX
    Vortec's or Edelbrock E-streets for bargin alum heads, I would not even consider Procomp

3. Tirefryer

Tirefryer Veteran Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Howell, NJ

4. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Frisco, TX

5. tigerbake

tigerbake Veteran Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Millersville, MD
    You can get some Dart Iron Eagles pretty cheap and they flow well and are a quality product. If it's just a street car I am not sure I would spend the extra cash on aluminum unless you had a deal

6. ricval

ricval Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Niagara Ontario Canada
    I've got the e street heads for my Z28, I cleaned them up a bit and they are great for the money. You can see the quality difference is way better than those off-shore heads. Stick with products made in the US and you know you have good stuff.:bowtie:

7. Tirefryer

Tirefryer Veteran Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    So far e streets sound like the way to go. Also this will be a strip/street car. Does anyone have recommendations on a cam with this combo?

8. Simon@London

Simon@London Veteran Member

Feb 16, 2009
    London Ontario
    I would go Alum for your application of drag/ street. At some point you may want to go bigger cubes and those heads will work fine in both. Your Cam choices are many but it depends on where the motor is going to run 99% of the time. A good street Cam should be better than race Cam for dual purpose so take your time on feedback here. Lot's of guys run this type of setup and should have solid ideas.

That weight drop on front end will be nice also and adding an under 200 Alum rad also helps.

9. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 13, 2006
    I would beg to disagree with DesmoEd about Vortecs being too small for a 383. The 383 in my old '75 shop 'Burban was a real budget build. 400 Crank offset ground for old 327 small journal rods, Silvo-Lite pistons, genuine 'moly' ringset, a Lunati cam with some no-name 1:6 roller rockers and a used HEI and a used Performer RPM ....the Vortecs were bone stock except for a workbench back-grind on all the valve backsides, ghetto-grind, no-name Z/28 $35 springs and a dremel-done smoothing of the sharp ridge under the valve seats. On an old Mustang water dyno it belted out 447 HP and min 400lb ft torque from 3200 through 5000 RPM. We would have been happy with a solid 375 HP. I don't recall the cam specs..it was something I had sitting around. The engine idled at 750, pulled 15" vac and the power brakes were quite happy. Vortec heads ROCK. They are seriously under-rated and respond very well to really simple tricks. Later on we pulled the heads, did a full port job with intake matching, small radius work, thinned and profiled valve guides, chamber work, port work. Too much time. We got a lousy 18 HP after 16 hrs work. Now more cam might have found even more power, but at that point the cam would have been crummy in a big fat truck. The heads are now on the 350 in my Blazer and I have more HP than the diffs can handle. I'd use GM's on everything unless I get a smoking deal on quality Aluminum heads. Horsepower, flat torque curves, cheap to work on, 150,000 mile durability..GM hit a home run.

10. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Frisco, TX

Not much point in putting small valve 170cc heads on a 383 - maybe in a 4x4 or truck application where you are looking for max tq at 2800-3000rpm - but not in something thats gonna see some rpm.

Imagine how much the Vortecs are giving up to a set of AFR195's