Cheaper Door Hinge Detent Roller Solution...

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by RePhil, May 28, 2010.

1. RePhil

RePhil Veteran Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Lorain, OH
    Being the tight wad that I am, I refused to pay the $45.95 at Year One for their detent roller repair kit. I ended up using a roller and pin from a 4th gen F-body that isn't an exact match, but does seem to work on our hinges. These are GM parts that are still available at GM parts counters...

Roller = GM # 20058035 ....list price is $10.49 each
    Pin = GM # 20262500 ....list price is $1.32 each

Here's a couple pics of the new parts compared to the old. The roller is the same diameter, but a little taller. The pin is taller as well. (the bushing from my old roller is missing)

The old pin that holds the roller on our hinges is a splined press fit. To remove my old one I just heated the area around the pin with a torch. I then grabbed it with pliers and gave em two good whacks with a hammer. The pin came out pretty easy.

The new pin will press into the existing splined hole. It's a tight fit, but mine went in using a c-clamp.

Here's a couple pics of the new roller installed compared to my other hinge with the original roller...

And then complete with the spring...

Again, not an exact duplicate of the original, but it works. Also nice because you don't have to buy a complete set if you only need to repair one hinge. Hope this info helps someone out.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  2. olstyle

olstyle Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    Looks good to me. Nice work, great info.
  3. wookie

wookie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Daytona Florida
    Awsome write-up and good info! Thanks!
  4. 80WA7113

80WA7113 Veteran Member

May 22, 2002
    Indianapolis, IN
    GREAT information and fantastic write up! I need to rebuild the detents on my '73 and found this post---I ordered my parts this morning

Thanks for sharing RePhil!!

(Maybe we can make this a "sticky"???)

5. 1971SS

1971SS Veteran Member

Feb 5, 2011
    eastern NC
    VERY NICE!!!

saved me some cash...!!!
  6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    This thread has been linked within the Body Restoration Sticky thread. :D
  7. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I actually like the design of the newer style roller with the flange instead of just a groove. Looks more stable. I'm assuming that the additional length of the pin is not a problem with the hinge closing since the roller itself is thicker?

Unless someone is doing a 100% resto, this is a great find for people with cars they take out and drive!

Thanks for sharing the excellent details and photos!
  8. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    I LOVE it when guys fix the parts they have instead of running out & buying new reproduction - GREAT job!!!
  9. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
  10. RePhil

RePhil Veteran Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Lorain, OH
    Correct. Functions the same when installed on the car. Mine has been on the car for about 8 months with no problems.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011