Discussion in 'Bon Appetite - NastyZ Style' started by 72350RS, Dec 31, 2011.

1. 72350RS

72350RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    We make cheese trays once or twice a month.

What are your favorites?

We don't do much brie, as it's close to eating almost pure butter

We like a good, ripe Camambert

We llike Cambozola

Anything triple creme,

Drunken Goat

We like those packs of Sopressata and salami....

Cornichons- gherkin pickles from France.
  2. Earlsfat

Earlsfat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 14, 2006
    The sharpest cheddar I can find makes me happy. Kraft usually comes out with a Christmas one (silver wrapper) that's really sharp but I haven't seen it this year. Cabot's seriously sharp is pretty darned good too... me and the kids will bust one of those up in no time.

IMHO, with Sopressata you need aged Provologne... sharpness depends on the Sopressata.
  3. Kregb

Kregb Veteran Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Erie, CO
    Not sure how you can not like Camembert and not like Brie. Until a few years ago I owned and operated a Creamery producing specialty Goat Cheeses. The recipe for Brie and Camembert is EXACTLY the same. The difference is the size of the mold (the vessel it is prepared in not the stuff growing on the side which is called rind) Brie is a larger diameter and usually produced thinner. Camembert is a smaller and usually thicker. Although the traditional rules are not well kept and it is not uncommon to find Brie produced in Camembert molds and vice-a-versa. That being said I prefer Camembert because of the size being smaller they are consumed before they can absorb the flavor of what ever is aromatic in the refrigerator. Baked Brie (or Camembert) is a favorite of our family and it is very simple to make. Sorry to be long winded and not say much.
  4. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    you guys are making me hungry...
  5. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    I like a super sharp chedder, aged swiss, a d just about any aged Italian cheese.

Funny, I was thinking about this today.
  6. 72350RS

72350RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    In flavor, Camembert is a little stonger than Brie. Brie is just a bit too bland for me, like eating Now I'm not referring to goat brie/ camembert either.

Cow wise, traditionally, as I understood it,

Bacterium Brevibacterium linens are used in Brie.

Penecillin Camemberti is added to Camembert.

Camembert ripens more quickly than Brie.

Very similar, as you noted, methods of production.

However, if you put them side by side, I just like the Camembert better.

The size of the mold is smaller for Camembert, it should lose its moisture faster when it ages, giving it a stronger taste.

Thanks for the input. This is just some of the stuff I learned, what, almost 20 yrs ago... What was it like to own a creamery? How do you not blow up to 500 lbs?! I think I'd eat the profits!

Kraft New York Extra Sharp Cheddar with a good fuji apple is a favorite, too!
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  7. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member