chevy starter wiring

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by vegas1974z28, Aug 22, 2008.

1. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Las Vegas,NV
    on a chevy starter there are 3 wires the batt cable, and 2 little wires. one close to the block and one on the other side. Which is the ignition switch? And the other is for the idiot light correct?

2. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

OK.. gotta minute..

large red and smaller red go to big bolt on solenoid... smaller wire yellow? is to energize the solenoid from ignition to start engine..
    hope that helps..

4. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My 2 cents, switch to a remote system. I don't like power at the stater full time & heat from headers can't get at it.

5. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Las Vegas,NV
    I have a MSD ministarter and it looks like only 2 wires will go to it. I know where the batt goes, it's just which small wire goes to the ignition on the MSD. SO I guess, which small wire is the ignition? The one closer to the block or the other?

MrDrag, My wiring skills are weak at best for now. I have about 9 other things I should be doing to the car. Remote starter/selonoid is in the future though.
    Thanks guys.

6. LILRED496

LILRED496 Veteran Member

Jul 14, 2008
    FLA
    The purple wire.Mines a 78 could be different

7. 74RAT

74RAT Veteran Member

Dec 28, 2003
    ft. stockton,tx,usa
    small post next to the block is the starter trigger wire. big post is battery cable and alternator charge wire. the outside small post next to the exhaust is for the 12v during cranking that went to the ignition coil on points to give 12v only during cranking.

then the main coil positive wire to the coil was resisted down to 5-7 volts or so,, either through a balast resistor or a resistor wire,, so as to not burn up the points so quickly,, like if you only ran 12v to them all the time. hope it helps.
    andy

8. My wire on the outside of the starter is missing completely. What color should it be and where could I source it from, + or - side of coil. The car still starts ok whn cold, but once its warmed up, its harder to crank.

Thanks, Scott

9. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Podunk, CT
    That doesn't have anything to do with how the starter is wired. Your timing is probably too far advanced, you have a weak battery, or the starter is not a high torque one.

10. OK, Thanks for the help