compressor size for blasting

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Camaro16, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Camaro16

Camaro16 Veteran Member

Oct 22, 2006
    carthage ny
    What size air compressor is needed to run a sandblaster? And what is the best material to clean rust off?

2. TIMMYS81-Z

TIMMYS81-Z Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Ocklawaha FL
    I've got a husky 60 gallon compressor and a harbor freight blaster and they work great together with some cheapo play sand I bought at Lowes.
    Just make sure you have dry air lines.Any moisture whatsoever will make the blaster shoot nothing but wet air! Ask me how I know!:)

3. BTTB71SS

BTTB71SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 10, 2006
    Harris, MN
    I have got a Porter Cable 80gal model c7550..It does run alot when sandblasting but one thing to make sure is that you drain the tank after each day to prevent rusting from the inside.

I also would recommend a inline dryer to keep as much moisture out of the lines as possible..

4. rustover

rustover Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    I use a blast cabinet. I would say the smallest would be a 5hp running, not peak. I also have an 80 gallon unit. I would say that 16 and up cfm will do the job. Mine is an 18.1 and runs a lot. I will eventually catch up and cut off. The manual said it was designed for continuous duty and not to let it cycle more that 6 times an hour. As far as blast cabinets, you can size the nozzle to your cfm output.

5. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    HUGE. You can't possibly have enough compressor for a sandblaster. 100 gallon 2 stage compressor, is not too much for a blaster. It will still run!

6. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

Apr 9, 2007
    petersburg MI
    my blaster needs about 80 psi and my 30 gal 3.5 horse craftsman runs constantly

7. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Madison, WI
    5 HP 2 stage if you really want to do some blasting. My tank is 80 gal.

Sand or black beauty for cleaning rust.

8. Eliminator SS

Eliminator SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 14, 2002
    South East, Nebraska
    Here's my answer to the question "how big of a compressor should I get for blasting?" The biggest you can possibly afford. I have an 80 gallon with a monster of a motor on it and I still give it breaks when Im blasting stuff. I've ran it so hard at one time that I turned all the copper piping running from the motor to the tank blue/purple from how hot the air was.

9. buckeye79

buckeye79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Crestline, Ohio
    Mine is a 2 stage 60 gallon, which keeps up but you still need to give it a break now and then

10. 71 Camaro

71 Camaro Veteran Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Cedartucky
    my 5hp single stage is NOT big enuff. it runs like crazy and still have to let it catch up.

btw if you use play sand wear a respirator, the dust from that shtuff is very deadly....or so ive been told.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2009