Correct motor for a 74 z-28

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by Jimmer, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

If it is an original engine, you don't need to pull the pan or any other parts. All you need is the engine code stamped on the front of the block ahead of the passenger side cylinder head. Get that number and post it and someone can tell you exactly what that engine started life as.

2. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    anything south of the first cylinder is a date code and tell you nothing about what the application was for that block in 74 . the pad stamp is the key and if its gone treat it like any other " date coded " 350 , unless you can tear it down and find the forged internals . i do believe the L48 did have a 4 bolt main as all 4 bbl 350s had back then . the difference was the forged crank and rods and aluminum pistons in the L82 / Z28 motor . he is really not asking a ton of money for it sooo..

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  3. Jimmer

Jimmer Veteran Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Green Bay, Wis.
    Found out it was only a L-48, 2 bolt main motor, probably not worth it to buy.

4. fdeluca532

fdeluca532 New Member Gold Member

Nov 7, 2007
    winthrop harbor,ill

I have a 1974 z28 block, oil pan,pistons and rods. the block is at machine shop getting cleaned and checked for cracks.I want 150.00 for all this stuff.plus shipping. quikzus@yahoo.com