Dash Cluster questions

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Jreid2010, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Jreid2010

Jreid2010 New Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Arkansas
    Happy 4th! I'm new to this, 1st post. I have a couple of questions about the factory dash cluster. My temp gauge, clock and amp meter are not working.
    1) what wires run to amp gauge and where from. It seems as though it's hooked up but noting is reading.

2). Is the clock just 1 all time hot wire?

3). What plugs into the temp gauge, just the dark green wire? Currently nothing is hooked up but when I touch the terminals with my fingers they appear to be pretty hot.

Thanks for the help.

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Amp gauge is one black wire and one black wire with white stripe, that have female spade connectors with tan plastic covers, wires are 12 gauge I believe, these wires are separate from the cluster harness. Best to get rid of amp gauge and go with volt guage. Unless your doing a concourse type restoration. Amp guages carry a bit of current and have been know to cause fires if the wires get damaged. You can pick up a volt gauge that will go right in that spot. Then just find a wire that is hot with key on.

Clock has a two wire connector I beievel flat type, one orange one black wire. Daniel from Gauge marks (sponsor on here) makes an oil pressure gauge that can replace your clock, since most radios now have clock displays.

yes dark green wire for temp sender.

the printed circuit board on the back of the gauge cluster can go bad and give you problems with your gauges. best to get a volt-ohm meter and check all the paths for conitnuity. New one will run you about $65 from NPD, Classic or Ricks Camaro.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    That is true for a real amp gauge which connects in series with the charge line for the alternator. However, the factory "amp" gauge isn't a true amp gauge. It doesn't connect in series with the charge line. It connects in parallel with two points on the charge line and because of that, it carries no more current than the volt gauge.
    The wiring diagram shows the amp gauge connected to the system with #16 wire.

4. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    I agree with all said,, But Am a little confused. I don't know size of the wires, but what i remenber ? What i have seen, burned wires, there was two wires fairly large.Did not go thru the fuse box.One black and one black with white strip. One to a juntion bar on fire wall and or down to main hot wire from battary,with fuseable link and the other was i thank at juntion bar under the horn relay,also with a fuseabale link from the alt. Would not that be a full 12 + volts If it shorted out. Unlike the 69's witch was just a saun, with very low volts. I am more asking than saying this is so? By the way,Jreid2016 what part of Arkansas, I was from Posahontas 60 years ago

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  5. Jreid2010

Jreid2010 New Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Arkansas
    Sorry, I'm just logging back on. I'm in Hot Springs. I ended up buying a new american auto wire gauge cluster wiring harness. Is there a good way to test the all the gauges with the cluster out and not hooked up?

Jeremie