Dealing w/credit card Co.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by dcozzi, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Around the end of Jan, I got a USAA Visa. The rate advertised was "as low as 9.9%". I wound up with 12.9%. Not impressive.

Last month, I got an offer from USAA for a 10.9% rate Master Card. "Pre-approved". I called them and asked, "What's the deal with the lower rate now? I know the Prime did not drop that far." They said it was their new deal they had but could not lower my rate to match it. Federal law and such.:(
    They also cannot transfer the balance from one USAA account to another.:mad:

So, I call them today and sign up for the Master Card at 10.9% and close the Visa account. I'll use one of the checks they send to write myself a check for cash, deposit it into checking and pay the Visa (12.9%) bill with that money. This becomes the Master Card balance at 0% until Sept. 2013. So is anything I write any of the checks for until the end of April. Now the old balance is at 0% interest and I have a card at 10.9% (2 points lower).

What a stupid way to do something that could be done with a couple of keystrokes from a USAA enployee but, it's done.

2. Z-WIZZ

Z-WIZZ Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2004
    FLA
    careful sometimes those checks have a diff rate

3. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    I checked, they are 0% but, only till the end of this April.

4. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    No transfer fee on the checks? All the checks I get now have a 3% or 4% transfer fee. My shredder likes to eat them:)

5. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, that's where tha last ones went.

6. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Hollister CA USA
    Damn credit cards charge that much interest now? I remember in the past when 5% was high. Im so glad Ive shunned credit cards.

7. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    They don't charge any interest if you pay the full amount off each month. My CC's actually pay me 1 - 5% on all my purchases to use them.

8. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Winner! Winner! Winner! I also like the promos, I bought a big screen from best buy, 36 months to pay on their card, no interest. So I pay $45 each month, that will pay it off in the 36 months, my welder from Amazon, one year no interest. I 'd rather do that than pull a bunch of cash out of savings or checking account. Home Depot and Lowes do the same, and when the Amazon is paid off it will probably be time for carpet for living room so I'll do it again at Lowes or the Depot.

9. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    Those that choose to pay by cash (or check), actually are helping the merchants to pay us to use our cards...;)

10. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Hollister CA USA
    Yea that applies to like 1% of people that have credit cards though. Even the OP seems to be carring a balance, to me 10% plus interest seems outrageous, that used to be the default rate if you payed late or went over the limit. Id hate to see what the default rate is now, Im guessing prob well over 20% :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.