Difference between Z28 & Trans Am wheel flares

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by TriK leader, Apr 15, 2010.

1. TriK leader

TriK leader Veteran Member

May 30, 2001
    hudson, NY
    Here is pictures to show the physical difference between the wheel flares on the Z28 vs. the T/A.

REAR FLARES:.....................T/A on the left................Z28 on the right

[​IMG]

REAR FLARES:......................T/A on the left................Z28 on the right

[​IMG]

REAR FLARES:......................T/A on the left................Z28 on the right

[​IMG]

FRONT FLARES::....................T/A on the left................Z28 on the right

[​IMG]

FRONT FLARES:......................T/A on the left................Z28 on the right

[​IMG]

FRONT FLARES:......................T/A on the left................Z28 on the right

[​IMG]

2. KJZ28

KJZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Brewsterico, New Fail
    I thought you meant the flare on the actual fender!! But I am surprised on those differences!!

3. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Georgia
    I'm shocked as well. You think GM would have saved a little dough and made them the same. Tooling for two different flares that look almost identical is crazy, but then again that was then. Thanks for the lesson.

4. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    wheel openings are alot different so not a surprise. Nice to see them side by side so people can use as a reference while at a swap meet or something. Trying to find them for their car.

5. goner1

goner1 New Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Vancouver Island BC
    Is the Z28 supposed to have the welting like the T/A one has?
    My 81 Z28 is just going into the body shop and I'm not sure if it is supposed to get the welting or not.

6. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not only that but look really good at a firebird and notice the difference from the mid-body line down compared to the Camaros. It is especially noticiable just above the rocker panel

7. goner1

goner1 New Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Vancouver Island BC
    Are front spoilers supposed to have the welting on their seam too?

8. West Texas Z

West Texas Z Veteran Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Lubbock, TX

my thoughts exactly

9. Dane Laney

Dane Laney New Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Asheville, N.C.
    flares

I put 79TA frt spoiler and fender flares on a 77 camaro I had no problem, after I totaled that one I used same spoiler on my 68rs, had to cut it down, narrow it and so, but looked great on both, I acually like the TA spoiler better, not really sure what or if it would fit on newer modles,, bit of useless info, only problem was on 68 running really large front tires, no room, I will fix that problem one day because that spoiler looks too good on 68,