Disposing of old Fuel

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by middleagecrisis, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Paul1979

Paul1979 Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Treasure Valley
    I have fuel from September 2009 in my Camaro tank. I'm thinking bonfire or fire dancing.
  2. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Central Coast, CA
    I think the last time I filled up my Camaro was over two years ago. It fires up and runs fine. Back when I had it sitting wrecked for 3.5 years, sitting uncovered in the backyard, it started and ran fine every time.

Mileage may vary with climates, and today's fuels.
  3. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Huh?:confused: :screwup:
  4. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    The gas in my car had been in there since last summer. It fired up all winter long and I drove it 20 miles to the gas station last Sunday to fill it up. No problems, car ran like hell! I have a old pickup that I strictly use for plowing snow and working around the property. The last time I topped off the tank was December 2010, still runs like a top...
  5. middleagecrisis

middleagecrisis Veteran Member

Oct 22, 2007
    SA, TX
    The reason I asked is the gas is about 1- 1.5 years old, which is about the same as gas I used for my lawn mower. First time I tried to start the mower this spring it wouldn't fire off. I went down to the local Valero and got new gas, drained out the old mower gas and filled it up with the fresh stuff. Fired right up on about the third pull. That tells me that gas definetly has a shelf life. In case some of you are wondering, Valero has refineries down here and is a major fuel manufacturer. I'll mix my old gas with my DD and get rid of it that way.
  6. nonstopgo68

nonstopgo68 Veteran Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Mobile, Alabama
    Really ...google it. actually it depends on the storage method but some say a month I guess cause of ethanol. But I dont make the facts I just copy and paste 'em :rolleyes:

Really? Now, Whenever I buy a new to me vehicle I change all fluids immediately.
    But I had to learn that lesson the hard way myself.
  7. BTTB71SS

BTTB71SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 10, 2006
    Harris, MN
    LOL.. How'd I miss this thread. Yep i need to take care of the gophers you know ;)
  8. 71 Camaro

71 Camaro Veteran Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I'd burn it in the DD too, but a little bit at a time, but run it thorugh a paint strainer first! Dirt isyour main enemy. That said, if I forget to use Stabil in my mowers in Oct, come April I'll be cleaning the carbs. Same with my bike. Modern gas does not have any appreciable shelf life, so be careful saving and running the stuff.
  9. middleagecrisis

middleagecrisis Veteran Member

Oct 22, 2007
    SA, TX
    I did filter it through a paint strainer and ended up having ~8 gallons, judging by the number of times it took to fill up my 5 gallon bucket. I used around a 3-1 ratio of fresh gas/old gas. The fuel smelled okay but had a funky golden color to it, not sure if that was a by-product of the Stabil fuel treatment or age related. I didn't have any problems in the DD and now have a completely empty tank to put fresh fuel into for the motor break-in. I personally feel I was pushing the limit on the fuel quality and wouldn't have wanted to run the fuel straight in my new engine. That's just my opinion, more power to those who run years old gas.