Do you usually need a permit for a Fence?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bmxmann, Jun 29, 2008.

1. bmxmann

bmxmann Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Fargo ND
    Hey guys, I am building a fence to keep in my 1 1/2 yr old son, and I am not sure If I will need a building permit. I live in the city, and I already put up 2 post, but they were in the same spot as 2 old posts, so I could say I just replaced them... Anyway, I checked the City website and found this:

"Permits are required for any new construction, addition, remodeling project, or structural alteration as well as mechanical, electrical, and plumbing projects. We do not require permits for finish work such as new cabinets, painting, replacing or covering shingles, patios made of brick or paving stones, or concrete slabs. You do need a permit for sheetrock, siding or a deck."

Suppose a fence might be considered new construction..

I don't want to email them if I don't have to, so figured I would ask you guys, thanks in advance!
  2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Only your city or whoever issues the permits can answer that question because things like this are different everywhere.
  3. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

More than likely yes. most cities will limit the height and location of fencing. For good reasom too. There are visibility issues near the street. many cities will limit you to 30" or so within ten feet of the street on a side yard fence.
  4. RobSS1113

RobSS1113 Veteran Member

May 4, 2004
    Now a days you need a permit just to go apply for a Permit !! Crazy.

But I've never heard of a Permit for a fence. I do know that if the fence runs down the side of the driveway towards the street that those boards need to be a certain height for viability. But those are just Requirements and not permit related, well at least not in Texas.
  5. Jim Stokkeland

Jim Stokkeland Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I played stoopid (LOL, not hard fer me), and got it after the fact (I knew the doods in the bldg dept.)...not advisable tho
  6. jayb53guy

jayb53guy Veteran Member Gold Member

May 10, 2006
    Niceville, FL.
    Only if your putting it up around a roller coaster.

Sorry, I had to. :crazy: :rolleyes:
  7. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Cal the town & ask - or check their website. IIRC, in my town if you are replacing a fence - no permit. New fence = need permit.
  8. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

9. bmxmann

bmxmann Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Fargo ND

Thanks guys!
  10. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    No permit needed for one of these.....