Drag Race Suspension Setup Opinions...

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by MEAN_SBC, Aug 15, 2006.

MEAN_SBC Veteran Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Amarillo TX USA
    I was originally going to 4-link the car, but I've decided that I might run in a cheap street type class next year, so that calls for stock type suspension. The car is a 76 Camaro with a 101mm turbocharger, and a 400 small block. It should make around 1200 at the rear wheels. Here's what I'm thinking for running in the back:

Strange Bolt in 9" rear with 35 spline axles (their drag race setup)
    Calvert Split Mono Leaf Springs
    Some good adjustable shocks (suggestions here would be great)
    and either 28x12.50 ET Streets, or some Drag Radials around the same size...

Does that sound like it's enough??? I know it's going to be hard to get the power to the ground, but I'm restricted by the class rules. :(

If you wouldn't go this route, what would you guys recommend????

2. Marv D

Marv D Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Getting that much HP hooked up is Waaaayy outta my league. Hell I'm fighting 800 and a 4link car and having troubles!
    Is this class like NMCA and NHRA where you can add to the stock suspension, but the stock components must be in place? Lots of stock legal cars are running ladder bar / floaters and double adjustable Koni's hanging beside the stock springs.

MEAN_SBC Veteran Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Amarillo TX USA
    That's about right... I know the rules limit the turbo to 88mm, but to run it all I would have to do is unbolt the 101, and bolt up an 88.... There's another class that limits it to 91, so I haven't decided on that yet... Thanks for your help Marv... :)

No Wheelie Bars, or scoops
    No Multi-Stage Power Adders including Nitrous
    No air to water intercoolers

10.5 Max Tire size slicks- no "w" Tires
    Any size radial tire allowed.

Fuel: No alcohol allowed.

Engine Rules:
    limited to cast intakes with EFI or Single Carburetor only.
    Only conventional heads will be allowed- No Big Dukes, Big Chief, Yates Etc.
    Superchargers limited to Pro Charger F-2 or Vortech XX
    Turbo limited to 88mm

Stock frame rails must remain in stock location. Rear frame rails may be notched for tire clearence.
    Full Body Passenger Car with working headlights, taillights.
    Stock Type suspensions only
    Mini tubing allowed

Two Seats, Factory Dash, and Working Side Windows

all cars must have full exhaust, no slip in or collector mufflers.

All rule will be evaluated after the completion of the 2nd race and adjusted as needed.

SB min 3100
    BB min 3300
    Add 200lbs for V8 supercharged cars.
    Add 100 lbs for Ladder bar and coil over shocks in rear
    Deduct 300lbs for naturally aspirated combos
    2600lbs for any import.

8.50 Safety cut off will be enforced.
  4. Maliboost

Maliboost Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 18, 2001
    I would see if you cant run leaf springs with ladder bars & not take the 100Lb weight hit. then move the shocks inboard with double adjustables & hammer the crap out of the wheelwells for the biggest drag radial you can get.

it might be a trick getting the right spring, but I think after you scale it, a pro should be able to get you the right spring.

BADBLACKZ Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 14, 2003
    Bellevue, MI.
    From the list you made IMHO you will have exactly what you need. Even with a 295-65 or 315-60 Drag Radial the only trouble I see will be keeping from ripping the back bumper off the thing.
    As far as shocks, I would start with an inexpensive 3 way like chassis eng. or even a Summit brand 3 way. You may end up needing a higher dollar set but why spend the $$$ if you dont need to ? I run a set of Carrara 3 ways that I bought real cheep from a roundy-round parts guy, they seem to work great - at lower H.P. levals anyway.........

MEAN_SBC Veteran Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Amarillo TX USA
    Well I've decided to go that route Z... I'm gonna run a Strange 9" with calvert split mono's and cal-tracs... Then I'm gonna stuff a big drag radial under it.... I've already got CE shocks, so we'll see how they work... If it hooks like that, I'll be super pleased...

Thanks guys!
  7. clean79

clean79 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Katy, TX
    Power Management is the Art and Science of that kind of Class,

come check out www.factorystreet.com FSTA Racing,
    Stock Style Suspension,

and Clash of the Titans
    Cheap Street

I think TT5 in Texas has a class for you as well, but you might already know this,

Let me know if you want to come down to Central Texas or the Houston area for an event.

MEAN_SBC Veteran Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Amarillo TX USA
    That's what I was plannin on runnin was the clash cheap street...

Thanks. :cool:
  9. KylePBZ

KylePBZ Veteran Member

May 5, 2006
    So. IL
    Another thing to consider is weight transfer. You want ALOT of stored energy and good travel in the front. I'd also get every ounce of weight possible off the front. If you get to where you're dragging the back bumper then worry about keeping it down some! lol
  10. YD-LUZ

YD-LUZ Veteran Member

Sep 27, 2005
    St Clair MO 63077
    I'd run a lakewood chrome $45.00 slapper bar and whatever leaf spring the junk yard has.