Duct Insulation as a Sound Deadener...

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by gordonquixote, Dec 30, 2007.

1. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    I looked at a roll today at Home Depot (12"X15') and it looks like it is somewhere between dynamat and thermal insulation. It is foil faced and about 3/16" thick.

I almost bought a roll but I was wondering about the flammability of it - there was nothing on the package to indicated flame spread....is it safe?

I know carpet melts nicely but I would like less combustible materials in the car 'just in case'.

2. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What did it cost Gordon?

do a little experiment, flick yer bic and see for yourself, then let us all know.

And if it burns real good, get video;)

3. mycamaro

mycamaro Member

Jun 26, 2006
    mount prospect, il
    stuff is called torch down and is for roofing. same type of stuff as dynomat. but you heat it with a propain torch to make it soft to contur the floor. great stuff and for 20.00 you can do the floor and trunk and still have some left over for another car..

4. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    $16 for 15 square feet - foil backed, one sticky side, with soft cellular foam sandwiched in the middle.

I'll look into the torch down - sounds kinda like peel-n-stick roofing rolls without the granulated stuff on top. Basically dynamat!

5. Cable Slacker

Cable Slacker Veteran Member

Jan 30, 2004
    NC
    put it all over in my car,really is quiet now. Never did the torch test will wait to hear about that one.

6. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    I used it under my headliner, and on the sides of the rear quarters inside, and behind the rear seat.. Because I had the same concern about flammability, I used a different product on the floors.

It is easy to work with, and does deaden sound, and also has a low R-value.

7. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

I was talking to a guy I know that has a 70 and he said that he used the Duct Insulation from home depot. I went and looked at the stuff yesterday, I almost got a roll but I'm not quite that far along on my car just yet.In about another 3 to 4 weeks I will be, no need for it to be stting in the way untill then. Home depot also carries it in a 3' x 15' for about $30.00

8. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

Sep 3, 2006
    gone crazy
    If it's the type that is foil faced and thin...insulating may be good but I don't think it'll work for sound.
    I have some on my garage door and all it's made of is bubble wrap faced with foil...

9. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    The duct insulation from Home depot is thin dense foam. Foil on one side, self adhesive backing on the other. It definitely helps for sound deadening.

10. g71rs

g71rs Veteran Member

Mar 7, 2004
    mount joy, pa.
    i used rammat foil and foam...its more expensive but when you tap on the metal there is no noise, except for a thud...its going to make car heavier
    www.raamaudio.com/
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

also did rear deck lid....doors need done yet

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007