Ebay is just getting crazy now

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by LS1 1971, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    WHAT ????????

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    I think if my nuts spun, my wife would like that. WTF:eek:

3. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    I think this guy was bidding on his own item to try and drive up the final price. Its been over a month and whoever won this, still hasnt paid for it. (His bid activity says 0% activity with the seller and he has only won two auctions in the past)

4. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can't bid on your own item or even a family member with a different account. You can get in big trouble with ebay when you do that.... Now, if you have unrelated friends that place bids to help drive up the price then you can probably get away with it?
    I had a co-worker who had his account closed 3 or 4 years ago when his brother, who even lived in a different state, placed bids on a couple of items to push up the selling price. He told me that the 1st time ebay sent him a warning and the next time they closed his account! I'm guessing ebay has a program where they do cross checking between accounts looking for common info between biders & sellers?? Same last name, same address, etc....

5. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Yes, you can get in trouble, but that doesnt stop people from doing it. I have lost several auctions when the final bidder and I both sniped towards the end. Then in looking at the winner's bid history, they will have a handful of "Wins" and 100% bid activity with that seller. One seller contacted me immediately after an auction I lost (like within 5 minutes) and said he had another unit "just like the one" I just bid on that he would sell to me for my "maximum bid price."

You just report it to Ebay and move on. Usually Ebay just sends them a warning. After repeated offenses, they might get banned... but none of the people I suspected where running up their own auctions got banned.

6. Tokyo Torquer3

Tokyo Torquer3 Veteran Member

Oct 14, 2003
    NJ
    "One seller contacted me immediately after an auction I lost (like within 5 minutes) and said he had another unit "just like the one" I just bid on that he would sell to me for my "maximum bid price."

This has happened to me more times than I can count!!! Evil Bay!

7. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2005
    scottsdale, az
    the 2nd chance offer is not always because of shill bids, we do it all the time when:

a. our consignors have more than one

AND ...

b. our consignors are happy with the final price

We ALWAYS include our phone number with the offer so the bidder can contact us with any questions

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012