edelbrock S.P.2-P. manifold?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by LTjames, Aug 31, 2005.

1. LTjames

LTjames Veteran Member

May 12, 2005
    La Cañada, CA, USA
    Ive been looking over my motor and just making sure I know all that I can. Ive got an edelbrock s.p.2-p. manifold on there, Ive heard that its for fuel economy. Im aiming at a rev range of 1000-5500, would this manifold be ok? anyone know of it? thanks

James

2. MikeM79

MikeM79 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 5, 1999
    East Quogue, NY
    That manifold was popular in the late 70s / early 80s during an earlier gasoline crunch.

Good for low end torque, but that's about it. It will run out of breath before your 5,500 rpm specification. An Edelbrock Performer EPS is a better choice these days. Easy hood clearance on our cars.

If you are on a tighter budget then pick up a used Edelbrock Performer for $50 or so, just watch out for stripped threads.

3. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbia, MO, USA
    An old E-brock 2101 or newer Performer, (and ESP intake too), or a Weiand 8004 is a better intake only b/c of their rpm range, imho.

Idle to 5,500+ rpm or so which better matches our engines rpm use range...

I will buy your Small Block, SP-2P intake if it is a 4-barrel one if you want to sell it so I will have one of each. (BB and SB is all to play with some time??)....

(Hope it is in good shape??)

pdq67

4. LTjames

LTjames Veteran Member

May 12, 2005
    La Cañada, CA, USA
    It is a 4 barrel, but the intake is pretty trashy, its got 1 stripped hole on the q-jet holes and a broken carb stud stuck in one of the outer holes. If you want it to machine or use as a paperweight I can email you when I pull it.

Thanks everyone for the info.

What do you guys think of those power plus+ manifolds you see on ebay? Also, Im in california and sadly my dinosaur 78 still has to be smogged. So it has to have EGR.

[This message has been edited by LTjames (edited August 31, 2005).]

5. 1978LT

1978LT Veteran Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Poquoson, VA USA
    I have a ZZ4 intake (with EGR!). It also has a dual carb pattern so you can use a Qjet or Holley. It's a GM intake with the firing order and all cast into it, so it would be a great sleeper intake. It's at least as good as a Performer, probably a tad better. And it IS for sale, cheaper than the Professional Products intakes [​IMG]

Oh yeah, 50 state smog legal too!

[This message has been edited by 1978LT (edited August 31, 2005).]

6. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

LTjames,

As you already read, the SP2P was a great economy manifold in the 70's & 80's. I love that manifold!

If you are interested in a trade, I have a couple of smog legal manifolds.

I have a GM Aluminum intake for Q-Jet with EGR and Weiand 8000 which is almost as good as a Edelbrock Perfomer.

The Weiand I have is made for EGR and is accepted in California as an E.O. exempt manifold.

If you are interested, I can arrange for shipping both ways, just let me know.

7. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbia, MO, USA
    Thanks for the offer LT, but let Kam. have it.

I will try to pick up one in better shape sometime is all.

pdq67

8. LTjames

LTjames Veteran Member

May 12, 2005
    La Cañada, CA, USA
    Thanks alot for the trade offers, It is my daily driver so I will have to find some time on a weekend or something to pull it, but I can definately find some time. When I pull it I will contact you.