EFI vs Carb'd

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Tpx, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Tpx

Tpx Veteran Member

If you build an engine with EFI and then you build that exact same engine with a carb instead, what are the differences? In mpg, hp, tq, and all other catagories?
  2. craigblock

craigblock Veteran Member

Aug 31, 2006
    It's impossible to say.

Assuming a good tune, the EFI engine will be better in all respects, especially emissions and driveability.

Good carbs may be able to approach EFI driveability, but not in all parts of the world. EFI can maintain the correct mixture at the top of a mountain, or at the bottom. That is something that carbs _can't_ do.
  3. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbia, MO, USA
    And it's been proven several times that a carbed engine will produce as much, if not a schosh more power up TOP as an EFI will, except that you have to really work w/ a carb to get it to run as good as an EFI in the lower and mid range rpm's! It can be done but it's a hassle and you will really need to know how to tune the carb. to do it!

But a carb is a BUNCH cheaper than an EFI!!

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

For Emissions, EFI is best.
    For mileage, they are probably equal.
    For horsepower, probably again equal.
    For driveability, I've never driven any EFI engine that is as smooth and responsive as a properly set up carb. No computer means no computer controlled spasms.
  5. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I disagree on fuel mileage. I picked up 3-4 mpg in the city and 2 on the highway (highway mileage was already great due to the overdrive trans). Not amazing increases by any means, but you do get some increase. If one is going for EFI just for mileage, it's not worth the initial cash outlay (unless you're able to do it extremely cheaply).

Also, for tune-ability, the EFI has the advantage. The amount of fidelity I have on fuel and spark control is lightyears ahead of a carbed engine- and that's using EFI technology that's almost 20 years old now.
  6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    The "common knowledge" about carbs making more power was true 10 years ago, its not true anymore. The ability of the ECM to react and the engineering is at a much higher level now. Think about the PC you have now vs 10 years ago.
    Sorry folks a good properly tuned EFI wins in every category.
  7. Tpx

Tpx Veteran Member

Now I just need $2,000 .. I'll just buy a good $400 carb until I can convert over to E-85 and EFI :/
  8. ejpii

ejpii Veteran Member

Mar 10, 2008
  9. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Funny how that works isn't it. Your car would be illegal in Looneyfornia.... :rolleyes:
  10. Tpx

Tpx Veteran Member

Since I live in "looneyfornia" I made sure to get a pre '76 car :)