Epoxy Primer or Just regular old Primer??

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by CaliCamaro75, Jan 4, 2017.

1. CaliCamaro75

CaliCamaro75 Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Winchester,CA
    I have a few questions on laying down some primer. I have almost completed my driver floor pan and hope to get my mini tubs soon. The questions are should I use some epoxy primer on the car (interior floor, engine bay, door jambs, and window channels) or could I get away with some regular old tractor primer? I don't have a air compressor or paint gun. Possibly looking at getting one. But them dam dollar signs are up there. I want to continue making progress but not sure what to do.

Could I put some generic primer down to protect the metal or just leave it an clean it up once I'm ready to paint?

An when I lay primer would I have to worry about a lot of overspray? Garage is a 3 car. An its just pretty much the car and my tools in there. Have no exp with air guns. But have mastered the rattle cans. ;)

The car is stored in a garage in SoCal. So its out of the elements and fairly dry air in the garage.

2. CaliCamaro75

CaliCamaro75 Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Winchester,CA
    An what about airless sprayers? Has anyone had any success with these for primer at least? I think I will leave the top coat for a pro

3. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    No air compressor!! I did a lot of car work for years without one, now that I have one I couldn't live without it. Pawn shops for a compressor, 25 gal. tank or larger. This size will work great for air wretches, 3/8's, 1/2 but won't work well with air grinders. Harbor Freight has a couple of HVLP paint guns that work well. The purple gun is what I use for primer, $25.00. Yes there would be over spray. Either build a booth in your garage or do it in the driveway. Rattle can would take forever. HVLP gun you'd be done in a few minutes.

4. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I'd look at Craigslist, esp NOW, for used compressors. Barter with people until you find someone who will cave. This is a great time because some people will need the money. I know it sounds harsh to barter with someone potentially in bad financial shape, but they can always say no and you might as well ask.

Get the biggest compressor you can. Preferrably 60 gal+, 2-stage, 20+ CFM type of compressor so you don't out-grow it. They are incredibly useful.

I'd spray the areas in question with epoxy primer, yes. It's a fantastic product. I'd spray it in the driveay, if possible. Throw down a cheap tarp and roll it out in the early morning with wind is minimal and knock it out. You CAN spray in the garage but there will be overspray, so beware.

I 2nd the Harbor Freight purple gun for epoxy primer. With their coupon it's a bargain.

5. CaliCamaro75

CaliCamaro75 Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Winchester,CA
    I may have to just make my own booth in the garage. Since I tossed my control arms. Car will only roll one direction now into the street.:screwup: I have heard about the purple gun from HF. Will have to pick one up. Thank you for the info.

6. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Yes, use spray cans of self extching primer. Just what the doctor ordered in this situation. Buy them at Walmart in the Auto section... Rust-Oleum brand. Over spray will be minimal. HTH...

7. larrylarry

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    At Home Depot or Lowes I bought some clear vinyl sheeting in 8' wide & 25' long, about 3 rolls & stapled it to my Sheetrock ceiling & duct taped the bottom to the cement floor. Used a squirrel cage fan to pull out the fumes. You'll need respirator for paint fumes also. Home Depot & Lowes has them also.

8. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Southern Polyurethane Industries, tons of people on here have used it, delivered to your door, 2 gallons (1 gal epoxy-1 gal activator) runs about $160-$180, won't beat that price anywhere. http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

9. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Gun quality and compressor are onlu going to change how much you sand. If you are happy with a lot of orange peel on your epoxy go for the $20 hf gun. It really doesnt matter what your wheel tubs look like. Top coat gun made a big difference for me. Fwiw i rolled the high build primer on my trunk hahahaha. It sucked to sand... if its not a 240v compressor dont bother, a 110 is pretty much useless if you want to do a nice job. Reason being a 110v can be max 2hp and even at 100% duty cycle will likely not keepup with your recoat windows. Use spray bomb for short term protection if you are prepared to sand it all off before using real epoxy like spi

10. larrylarry

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    The OP is just wanting to primer the inside of his Camaro.