Epoxy Primer

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 71 Camaro, Feb 28, 2011.

1. 71 Camaro

71 Camaro Veteran Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Cedartucky
    What brands are you guys using? Buying it locally or online? Never sprayed any before so any tips would be appreciated. I'm guessing as soon as get a coat down you need to clean the gun ASAP? Does it come in "hotrod black?" Think might be rocking the murdered out rat rod look this summer.......

2. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I assume you mean flat black? I have used SPI which is what I'd consider semi-gloss. That is the only version of black epoxy primer they sell (pretty sure anyway). There are other good brands of epoxy primer that others can comment on.

But wouldn't you want the color coat to be flat black or are you talking about the firewall, frame, underside, etc?

Yes, you want to clean the gun ASAP using lacquer thinner.

3. 71 Camaro

71 Camaro Veteran Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Cedartucky
    semi-gloss would be ok, i'd just be happy to have it all one color. immediate goal is to get it drivable and have it not looking like total crap. Bottom of car is done, welding is done. Starting actual bodywork now and want to spray epoxy before bondo.

4. kawboy

kawboy Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Indiana
    SPI.
    Just an FYI theirs comes in black, gray and white.

5. 71 Camaro

71 Camaro Veteran Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Cedartucky
    Where you guys getting this SPI stuff?

6. crystalbluevib

crystalbluevib Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2011
    IL
    Southern Polyurethanes Inc. 404-307-9740 Tech Support..........................................706 781-2220 Corp Headquarters

7. 71 Camaro

71 Camaro Veteran Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Cedartucky
  8. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Altoona, PA
    Just about impossible to beat SPI for quality and value. I also had great results with PPG EPX-900 from their commercial coatings line. It is priced right.

9. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 4, 2003
    SC
    The Dupont Nason line epoxy is good too. If I do another car I'll try the SPI because it gets great reviews and sands easier than others. Although the only thin I sanded of epoxy was for runs.