Fabricating dash, looking for input

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Hoot, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    Going to start building/fabricating my dash tomorrow. Any ideas or suggestions very welcome. Open to most anything.

Things I want so far.
    1. 6 gauge set
    2. switch panel (fan, heater, water pump, maybe more)
    3. headlight switch... could be on switch panel. doesnt need to be stock type.
    4. Stereo in reach.
    5. No stock heater or ac controls.
    6. not sure want glove box or not.
    7. Maybe a hell handle, but not a stock type. More like Steel bar or somthing :)
    8. oh yeah, stock steering column (non tilt)

Open to wood, fiberglass, metal. Havent decided on shape or anything yet. Want somthing different yet functional too.

2. doc221978

doc221978 Veteran Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Allenhurst, GA.
    Ebay has some nice aluminum gauge panels..... Everything you mentioned is personal preferance though, unless you need help.

For the gauges I prefer VDO or Autometer. I also will never do away with my a/c, but I live in Georgia.

Almost forgot, you will need an adapter or a new cable for the speedo. Good luck.

3. no-nitro

no-nitro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Ofallon MO
    I had mine custom made, i kinda went off the 81 style so i could have a good place for the gauges. Its all fabbed out sheet metal. In the one pic had a mess to clean, my oil press gauge was leaking lol. If you have any questions let me know...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Earlsfat

Earlsfat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Whut?
    ^ I like that... pretty darned slick.

Gonna try to make mine out of fiberglass, same issues as OP, but no radio... can't hear it anyway, lol.

And the Autometer speedo's make me mad... Why doesn't A/M sell the damned cables??????? Dorks.

5. doc221978

doc221978 Veteran Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Allenhurst, GA.
    I got a cable from classic 5 speed to fit my speedo, but I have a TKO. Scott still may have what you need for a stock trans if you don't have it yet.

This weekend I am going to try using fiberglass too for a gauge panel..... I just hope it's not to bad to work with. I have never tried, but have read how to.

6. Earlsfat

Jun 14, 2006
    Whut?
    I've been lurking forr a while on a couple fg forums... and am in the process of getting a donor hood ready so I can make a mold and make my own fg hoods (tired of seeing cowl hoods... wanna make a few until I find a design I like.).

7. Spot_remover

Spot_remover Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Murrayville.Ga
    I plan to have mine made from aluminum sheet metal. I wont have heat or air to contend with though, just defrost and those vents are built in.

8. KylePBZ

KylePBZ Veteran Member

May 5, 2006
    So. IL
  9. Earlsfat

Jun 14, 2006
    Whut?

Those are pretty nice and the price ain't too bad either.

10. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    they got both camaro dash but not a firebird looking one. But I really want to make mine. Dont want it to look stock at all. I have been fabricating most everything Im replacing so far. Got some ideas just been sidetracked with weather and couple other little projects.

Maybe I can get started laying it out this weekend. Easter and inlaws coming in so will see what I get too.

Im thinking driver semi wrap around and not sure how to shape pass side yet. Im going to run a Mojave heater so just need defroster vents. Just need to get the column, wheel, kick panels back in after I painted them to get some spacing.