Fuel Line sleeving or hard lines?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 8pack, Dec 29, 2016.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I am working on installing the Holley Sniper fuel injection set - up. I am running a RobbMC power surge tank where the charcoal canister goes. I am lookint at running the fuel lines along the front cross member and then up and over the power steering box. I only need low pressure lines so standard rubber fuel line works fine for the application.

However, from what I read hard lines are recommended in the event that road debris kicks up and damages the fuel line.....Do you think a braided stainless sleeve over the rubber fuel line would be enough protection? Actually seems potentially more durable than hard lines? I don't want to deal with flaring and tub bending etc. if I can avoid it.

Thanks!

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Why not just run braided stainless steel lines? If you run hard lines, you will need a flex joint of some type between frame and engine. Also, isn't the RobbMC output line high pressure - 45+ psi?

3. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
  4. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Good point on the flex line, I will run the first 6 inches or so as rubber line, it is tucked up high enough not to be a problem with getting damaged.

Low pressure line from the the fuel pump to the RobbMC Power Surge and the return line to the gas tank, High pressure lines from Power Surge to Throttle Body and back to the Power Surge...Sorry, I wasn't clear that I was talking about the lines from the fuel pump to the PS.

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    You can run the hose the entire length, but quality hose is expensive and today's fuels will eat it over time requiring $$ replacement. I ran stainless hardline to run across the body and hose from the tank to hardline and hardline to engine. A 6 foot hardline in stainless is like $15 where quality hose is like $4-$5 a foot

Rene Melten likes this.
  6. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Good Point. I was thinking about running hard line back to the Throttle body from the Power Surge after more consideration. I can run it long the fender then along the firewall and straight to the back of the TB avoiding the headers and other hot spots. When I get the copper nickel line in I will take a look at it.

7. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Painted Post NY
    My $0.02... Don't run braided stainless unless it's the Teflon lined stuff. I had the cheaper line, no leaks but it does emit fuel vapors ( in a garage...bad). I re did my line in copper nickel. Easy to bend, flare, install. I do have a short premium Teflon braided line at the engine...and at the tank connection.

8. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the pointers. What flaring tool did you use. It seems like they are either $20 or $100+. I am usually all in favor of buying tools but I only have 8 flares to do.

9. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Painted Post NY
    I bought the ridgid 377 (37 deg ) for matching up to AN lines. It was over $100, but worked real nice.

10. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Primo . That 37 flare is nice